SX600 Speedo bearing stuck! And greetings TY!

The Hossman

Hey Guys! I've been a member here since 2007 and never posted anything... :) A lurker I think is the term. Anyways, finally a question.

I have a 99 SX600, I am in the process of changing the track. I can't get the drive shaft out. The speedo side bearing is frozen to the drive shaft and to the retainer in the frame. I have the chaincase out, the speedo drive off & removed the 2 set screws on the bearing collar. According to the parts diagram, there is nothing else holding it in there... right?

If I tap the opposite end (chaincase side) of the drive shaft, should the bearing pop out of the frame retainer? Or if I Mcgyver up a puller, can I push the shaft out of the bearing from the speedo side?

I sprayed her with some penetrating oil last night, that might do the trick - but in the meantime - any thoughts?

Chris

I just changed mine, I drilled out the rivets for the retainer so I could get the shaft out. I put the bearing/shaft in a bench vise and tapped on the end of the shaft to break the bearing loose. don't beat on it too hard, you don't want to damage the end of the shaft.

you can use a clamshell puller to remove it or a torch to melt it off once you get it to the left side of the sled as much as possible.

Put some heat from propane torch on inner bearing race and ice or snow on shaft to keep it colder then bearing. That temp difference should work. Good Luck.

Back