Which sled to buy wife?

dbutler1988

Looking at a "New-Old" sled to pick up in the off-season. She is pretty new to riding, but handles her sport bike so I'm not worried. Doesn't mind a pull cord and she doesn't need it to to be that fast, but I do....so I can borrow it ha ha.

Bought myself a 2002 Viper with 1300 miles a month ago, her options for her $2500 price range are:

1.) 2002 Viper (Blue) 2k miles, studs, can, added Electric start and Reverse, M10 added (nice!) $2600

2.) 2004 Viper S, 1.8k miles, NEW Track w studs (woman wanted studs, couldn't do it with the 1.25)...comes with the old track (500 miles). $2800

3.) 2004 Viper ER, all stock, 6k miles but clean for the miles. $1900

4.) 1996 Vmax 4 800 1600miles (MINT!) Could eat off the motor. (More for me than her) Ha ha! $2500

What do you guys think?

Venoms are going for just a couple hundred less and the resale isn't that great on them. I'd rather stick with something in higher demand and also fun for me just in case she decides she doesn't like it that much.

Not the 96, old style steering. 97 vmax and newer are way better. Er Viper is a good deal plus extra money for studs, track if needed, and any extra you might.

Myself in your shoes would be #2 then #3 then #1 and last pick would be #4. 2&3 at the top of the list as the have DCS (detonation control system) #2 should have Ohlin shock package. #1 because its still at least a pro action Viper. A LOT of guys LOVE the 4 cylinder Vmax-4, I have only rode 2 Vmax-4 but have owned a handful of 94-96 Vmax twins......suspension kills it as a desirable trail sled to me, suspect your wife wouldn't like the brickish ride it comes with. My girlfriend threatened to quit riding if I didn't find her a better suspension than the 95 Vmax 600LE she rode for 2 seasons. She likes the 00 SxR shes ben riding and keeps telling herself my most recent purchase an 04 ViperS with Hartman 144" kit is hers.........I keep telling her it isn't.......she still keeps telling herself though!

Personally I would go for the 04's. They had the upgraded suspension. Viper S are cool looking and like stated above DCS and Ohlins. Just my opinion.

Thanks for your responses so far. The vmax 4 is more of a pipe dream for me, I'd buy it for myself but we all know a 3rd sled is not really justifiable when you're only 2 riders. More just to have and take out a couple times per year. I have to stop myself from buying too many because you have to store them all and upkeep them all, even if they are dirt cheap compared to new.

The 2002 has the M10 and low mileage, which is why it made it on the list. I know they don't give those M10s away and 2k miles is nothing. Price is a tad high, but they sunk a lot in the ER and suspension....still a drop in the bucket compared to the new viper.

The 2004 ER is the best deal, but even if it's clean starting at 6k miles the resale might be tough. The other makers go through a motor or 2 by then so your general buyer thinks that's a ton of miles.....not for a yamaha.

The Viper S is a sweet sled but that's a lot of $$$ it seems. 4 strokes are going for that price and Apexs for a bit more.

After owning 2 RX1s in the past and spending too much time on 1 ski, I wouldn't recommend it for someone starting out.....my 03 was really tippy in the turns.

Being that it's for the wife, I'd go for the 04 w/ e-start & reverse. Remember.....a wife that's miserable----means you'll be miserable soon too after shes done nagging. A happy wife means your happy too.

Being that it's for the wife, I'd go for the 04 w/ e-start & reverse. Remember.....a wife that's miserable----means you'll be miserable soon too after shes done nagging. A happy wife means your happy too.

we have a bingo....lol, how true that is!

Venoms are going for just a couple hundred less and the resale isn't that great on them. I'd rather stick with something in higher demand and also fun for me just in case she decides she doesn't like it that much.

The 600 triple is a blast. If it's cheaper than a Viper and has electric start and reverse I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Added benefit - no exhaust valves to worry about.

The 600 triple is a blast. If it's cheaper than a Viper and has electric start and reverse I'd pick one up in a heartbeat. Added benefit - no exhaust valves to worry about.

the 600 would be cheaper to rebuild too, viper piston around $100 each, venom piston around $40, and those redheads run forever!!

Good points guys.

What you need to know is she's one of those girls that hates when you say she can't do something and wants to be able so she can prove she can.

Example: I ride a Yamaha R6. She wanted to go and get her license and ride her own rather than ride on the back. After a few spills in the class, she's riding her own FZ6. Although she's been riding on the back of my shorty viper, I recommended her getting her own.....having a passenger is not easy on single seat 121. She was fine with it.

Knowing her she'd rather use the pull cord and swing the back around than having ER. Just to say she can.

She's agreed to the Viper S, so worse case scenario I get a viper s or we have to sell a viper S (easy to sell I'd imagine).

On a side note, I thought the Venom had a single piped SRX 600 style motor. Did not know they had the red tops. In my area they are going for about $2300 with 3k miles. I don't see her doing more than 500 miles per year so I'm not thinking about rebuild cost.

Venom with a set of triple pipes would be fun. I just sold an SXR 600, same engine as the venom, it had hauck triple pipes and clutching, that thing was a blast...fastest 600 ive ever ridden, and sounded awesome!!

Back