02 SRX Build Up

ViperGYTR

Hey guys, been on here tons lately getting info on the Srx and finding parts etc...been a great time rebuilding a sled that was about to be parted out! Could not find a running sled here locally

Bought it with a blown motor (Everthing was finished becides one cyl, head and piston lol) cracked hood, smashed up rear skid, ripped seat, missing clutches,it was put through the ringer! But it had a new mbrp silencer,v force reeds, new bellypan and rear bumper plastic,full chaincase, gears and chain, anti rachet drivers and a new ripsaw track replaced at the dealer a week before it blew the engine...guy said it was revving 9k plus, had full 600 sxr clutches on it...oh my!

Found a rebuilt 00 motor on ebay, a bunch of low km 01 parts locally, a huge order from royal distributing and Ronnies.com to get me started

Stripped it down to the bare chassis for cleaning, new rivits where old ones were loose...removed bellypan and used silicone all around then new oem rivits,installed all new bearing/seals in chaincase,driveshaft and jack shaft...new bushings in front end.

Then I installed a 01 w arm assembly and new shock on front arm, and all new bushings and bearings in rear skid...assembled with blue loctite
Set up transfer roads and put rear in soft position

Got the oem seat recovered in black on the side bolsters, little cleaner look

Installed the new motor(new pistons, rings, all new oem yamaha gaskets, 1800 miles on oem crankshaft, v force reeds, 01 carb jetting) new fuel filter , sandblasted water rail, new thermostat, new recoil rope, dielectric grease on all connections. covered all wiring and slightly rubbed coolant hoses with protective covering (cheap insurance)

Sandblasted and painted pipes with high heat paint, quick polish (more this summer) and new oem exhaust donuts and exhaust springs...used permatex copper sealant on joints

Cleaned out airbox and installed, set oil pump cable to 19mm and used cable saver spray on all cables...they all work like new now!

Set up the stock 01 clutches with new washed belt, belt deflection set for just spinning the track on idle...loaded 4.5 gram each hole stock weights, BGB primary spring, Bender 51/45 helix with green spring 70 wrap

Pulls hard with nice mph gain up top!

Installed the mint 01 Srx hood with a fresh wax job, black headlight decal material,smoked side markers and tailight lens, C&A ADX Skis with woodys 6" carbides, RSR Skidplate

Stripped paint from tunnel and quick polish.

Only thing left to do is install a slp flow rite in lh side pl bellypan for more clutch cooling, remove front end for Powdercoat and 01 decals this summer, and find a nice clutch guard!

I had a great time with my 5 year old restoring this sled...I've always wanted a mint Srx but all the ones around here were just like the one I bought for $800 lol

So I have 400km on this sled and I'm all smiles! Sled pulls so hard and is running just like a new sled! Using castrol super snowmobile mineral oil for the first 2 tanks of oil then switching to Amsoil interceptor!

Have some sno stuff tunnel grip plates mating with some brp tunnel grips so I can get a full length grip and just the sno stuff ones are too short as well as a set of duraflex ice scratchers to install this afternoon then it's time to hit the trails again!

I'm a backcountry rider primarily but since I had my boys I spend more
Time on the trails...there is not other sled that I have ridden that I love more then the SRX! It's not the fastest , best riding sled on the snow but I just love riding it more then the others...the sound, looks, reliability, fuel mileage and good power make it so much fun to ride...I had a viper S and the Srx is in another league! Way more bottom and mid power!

I would like to thank everyone on here for all the help, from tips to parts it's been an awesome experience!
Thanks again!

evehy6yp.jpg
uhusy5a5.jpg
uvesasyp.jpg
e7uga6eh.jpg
jerumy6u.jpg
uvusanep.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bud!
hu5uraha.jpg
yvevu3an.jpg

Got the hybrid tunnel grip plates installed and the scratchers this afternoon...turned out pretty clean

Hahah thanks!, shoot me a pm if you need any advice or questions!

I know what it's like to have never ending projects! been a mechanic all my life, but when I bought my first house in 07 at age 24 that all changed lol...renos and carpentry work came and I learned to enjoy it! Cause I have toys to buy with my earned money! Not paying for work I can do myself! Lol

Still have to epoxy the floor, build shelfs, prime and paint, make racks for the snow/wake/skate boards...the details take the longest!

The Skidplate was black but I painted it white with plastic paint...it's only a trail rider so it should hold up!

I like the tunnel grips for when I go deep into a turn I can wedge my inside foot into it without slipping, and when drag racing it's somthing for your boots to grab on...

Just always use them on my sleds...habit I guess

Back