Newbie looking for srx to sx swap.

trutrent

Hello, first post been lurking for awhile and decided to join the site. Lots of great info and ppl here.
So I just bought a really decent 1999 700sx deluxe and of course iwant to start modding it up abit. I have plans to start with the suspension then engine. I have the shorter track 121" and would like to replace with a longer one. I will be trail riding mainly and using it for double half the time when my wife comes along. Next i want to set up the clutch for riding doubles. And eventually some aggresive trail riding mods to engine.
So i guess my question is this. Would it be more cost effective to just beef up what i have now or do my modding by buying a donor '01 srx and essentially replacing suspention and engine from that one? I have an opportunity to get the '01 pretty resonable.
All replies welcome. Thanks

srx motor will not fit eaily into the sx chassis. you actually would be better off getting the srx to mod over modding the sx as you will already start off with more hp factory.

extend to 136" with long travel sxr or viper shocks on the rear.

set the clutching for agressive trail.

for when the wife comes along set the fra to medeuim or hard after setting it for your weight on soft as per tec pages.

Ok thanks that was one of the things I wasnt sure about. The motor not a simple swap. The sx is in great shape with only 2000+ miles on it. I think ill pass on the srx . And spend the money to upgrade the full suspension. As far as the motor goes it will be upgrades for reliabilty. I want to make sure the motor is solid and healthy before power adders. What or where would i need to start looking for a 136"?

you will need a track, the rail extensions, tunnel extension, longer cooler hoses and shocks if you are long traveling the rear of the sled. 1-1/4 will fit if you trim the track for the tunnel protectors. any larger lug or studs, you will need 8 tooth drivers. if the origonal drivers are bad, i would go extroverts with a fully clipped track. might want to go with 8 tooth drivers anyways so you would not have to mess with the gearing.

clutch it next as that will be the best bang for the buck next to the reed notch mod or silencer mods in the tec pages. last 2 mods basically are just time to do the mods as there is usually no parts involved.

i helped my brother do his viper and did my other brothers sx500r about 7 years ago (if not longer). there will be things others will add add that i forgot or suggest things that are better. up to you what you want to do.

might be able to get most if not all of the parts used from site sponsors or vendors.

Last edited:

Back