Fixing holes in carb boots

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I've got a set of carb boots from my SRX that have a small hole on the bottom side where a NOS spigot was pushed through from the previous owner.I changed them out for another set but kept them on the off chance I might fix them so that I can have a spare set but would like to know if anyone has ever done something like this successfully.I hesitate to do this because we all know the catastrophic results from a lean burndown but surely there must be a way to plug up a small hole with something that will stand up to the environment,ie gas and oil. IMG_20140519_190044628_HDR[1].jpgIMG_20140519_190026882_HDR[1].jpgIMG_20140519_190057006[1].jpgIMG_20140519_190052102_HDR[1].jpg

Last edited:

I say junk them. You can get a spare set from someone parting out a sled for peanuts. The yamaha intakes last forever and a day unlike the doo boots .......which is also part of the reed cage

I would junk em too, not worth it. BUT, if you wanted to try, I would put the spigot back in and cap/plug it.

I wouldn't take the risk running a set of boots that you know are not 100% sealed. Even if you try your best, it doesn't mean something won't change while there in there due to heat/chemical/vibration. It would suck to have an oh $hit moment after the motor burns down and you find it pulling everything apart.

Yeah I can't say as I've ever seen or heard of a Yamaha carb boot going bad like the Doo ones are know for,I guess the only reason I've held onto them is that I hate to throw stuff away if there's even a chance it might be fixed.Too much of my father's penchant for hanging onto stuff in me I guess.;)!

Maybe I'll stick them in the classifieds and see if anyone wants them.

Back