Cold weather triples

billcos

Just got back from up north the temp was -30 to -40 the only sleds that had trouble starting were the Yammy triples we had to use hair dryers to warm them up any ideas or is this just a fact of life :o|

-52*f and mine started with 3 pulls last week up here in Northern Minnesota. Full choke until it started then 1/2 choke and had to babysit the throttle for a minute.

Read an interesting hint in this months SnowTech about cold starting. When you shut down the sled at the end of the day, turn the choke on for 2-3 seconds, then shut the motor off. Supposedly it puts more raw fuel in the lower case to aid in starting the next morning (prime?), and the raw fuel washes off some of the oil that thickens up over night. Worth a try.

Make sure the chokes are coming on all the way. Our Vmax4 is like that..you actually have to pull the choke know out to get it to work right.

A touch of throttle while pulling fired my SX up after pulling forever without giving some throttle. I think it was -16 out.

Tod

another tip for real cold weather starting is to take your belt off, bring it in side overnight and start the sled with the belt off. Then when warm stop the engine and re-install the belt. sometime the belt will drag down the rpm and will also not allow it to spin as freely. just something i have done...

I have had this problem before in real cold weather. My fuel pumps were freezing up. Hit it with a hair dryer for a couple minutes and it would fire right up. Found out it was the gas. If you live up here in Alaska don't buy Carrs gas and Tesoro ain't much better, I've had problems with both my machines were freezing up in cold, cold weather. My car and truck were dying at stop lights the last time I used their garbage gas. Have had no problems since changing gas stations.

Cold start

The choke the night before really helps -17 last week choked until it died night before started next morning 1 pull nearly fell off of the trailer it started so easy.

The tip reguarding the pulling of the choke then shutting it off works great.

My Mom's '96 Polaris Classic 500 is nearly impossible to start no matter the condition outside. It floods faster than you can flip the lever down. This little trick makes it start on 1 pull at zero degrees without using the choke at all. Ya I know this is a Yamaha Forum but I thought I would share an experiance where this trick works great.

I know on my sled it sure likes to crank a bit. Good thing for electric start.

Bringing the belt in to warm up when it's real cold saves the belt from getting burned. And bringing along your tail prop and proping up your sled after a day's ride is another good idea.

I have sleded in minus 40C both this year and last year with my viper. Constistenly takes about 7-8 pulls when it is this cold to start, after that runs great. Only sled that I have seen start better this cold is my friend mxz583, damn thin is 3-4 primes(depending on temp) and about 3 pulls. It starts easier because the gas from primming it helps to raise compression above the threshold needed for combustion(he has 10000 mile on the original engine) US yammie loves need to usualy pull more because with choke it takes 2-3 pulls at these cold temps to get enough oil/gas to the rings to help them work/seal properly.

Back