Watercraft engine in a sled?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Every once in a while I look through the pwc's that are for sale and notice that some of the 2 stroke models have fairly large cc's and I get to thinking is it possible to adapt a watercraft engine into a sled?Not that I'm contemplating this project,this would take way more funds than I could possibly come up with right now,I'm just curious as to why I never see this king of thing done.

I have a buddy that is building one from scratch with 1200cc 275 hp pump gas watercraft engine, it's an 1 class racer only

You would have to adapt the cylinders to work on a snowmobile lower half as there is no water pump on a pwc lower end, and "usually" pwc top ends are of a mono block design. It would be cool to see how well a "big bore" pwc engine would compare to either a big bore sled engine or just power and performance differences between those styles of engines....

I think the outputs aren't tapered like a sleds, just strait. If a 2 stroke, porting is very different to get the torque at a low rpm. Usually have cooling troubles with them in sleds, they are designed to be pulling an unlimited amount of 25c lake water, some electric water pumps cant keep up when running hard. I was talking to a guy on my lake who had tried to build one. Ran for a little while

Norwegian posted a thread on here a while back, it was...Yamaha snowcross history results? They put a watercraft motor in chris vincents sled sno cross sled.

Back