Curing high temp paint other way?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Guys I thought I would post a question about curing high temp paint other ways than what is recommended on the can.So here's the scenario I'm working with,I want to bring my 01 SRX into my shed so I can start some of the things I need to do to it before winter like pull and paint the control arms and radius rods and rebuild the engine.I sent my cracked cylinder away to be repaired already and then I'll be ordering some parts like pistons and rings so obviously the engine isn't running.What I'd like to do while the weather is still warm,hot actually,is to strip and paint the pipes seeings how I've got lots of time right now,but as to the issue of curing the paint I won't be able to put them on an engine to heat cycle them and don't have access to an oven to heat them in either.So if I hang them in the direct sunlight do you guys think I'd be able to cure them paint well enough to stick? I plan to use VHT paint because it's what's readily available to me.

i have had great luck with a weed burning torch. much broader heat range than a heat gun or small propane torch and covers a wider area without concentrating the heat. little trick i learned from my hot rod buddy and headers.

i simply hang them up outside and heat cycle them via the weed burner. an infrared temp gun helps to avoid hot or cold spots. keep the burner moving! do your heat cycles as directed on the vht can.

You could also use those infered propane heaters as well. Set one on each side and bake away. No flame to hit the metal like the weed burners.

Back