Speedometer question

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
Is it possible to take a speedo apart successfully without ruining it?The reason I ask is I have an ex drag sled turned into a trail runner and it didn't have a speedometer in it when I bought it,I bought a used one to put in the dash but the mileage reading on the odometer is well beyond what I was told is actually on the chassis.What I'd like to do is set the odometer to what it should be because what is reading now is about 5500 miles more than what it should be.I know most people would just say run it and don't worry about it but I hate things like that,I'm doing my best to fix the things that aren't up to snuff on the sled as it is and having an OD read above what it should is bugging me.

One of the things I could do is get an AC motor and couple it to the speedo and just let it run for,what I figured is about 4 to 5 weeks,to get the correct mileage.This is kind of a last resort because I just don't have an ac motor lying around.And yes I already tried to find a speedo with mileage closer to what my chassis has on it,plus I'd rather not have to buy another one,I don't really need a surplus of gauges sitting around.

I know that fiddling with an odometer is a no no and if it was easy to do more unscrupulous people would do it;I have no intentions of selling this sled any time soon so nobody needs to be crying foul in that regard plus I'm just not that guy,the one to screw someone else over lying about the mileage to try and get another $500 out of my sled.

Back