'98 SRX 600 ignition question

journeyman

My buddy has a '98 SRX 600. He likes the sled, has owned it since new and it is well maintained.(He's a very good machinist). The one gripe he has had is the not so great top end. He's tried several clutch set ups and now runs the TY setup with the 45/41 helix. I rode it this weekend and it pulls strong, has great throttle response, but when it hits 90-95ish, it kind of hits a wall. It runs hard with my Viper up to that point, then my Viper walks away. My question is, did Yamaha slow this sled down with the ignition to keep it from beating/staying to close to the SRX700 in '98? He thought he heard that from someone. Has anyone tried a '98 700SRX ignition in a 600 SRX? Just curious.

thanks, J-man

did he install a track with a full block design? sounds like his track is hitting. check the track for rub marks over the clips. you may need to get out the knife and cut a relief out of the track to match the tunnel guards

Thats asuming your budy installed studs and guard, they did not come stock that year.
what height is the track, how tight is it? stock geaing? what rpms?

I've always heard the 600 cdi is better than the 700, some 700 guys used it for drag racing

The track isn't it. He ran the original track(.75) for years with I believe 144 picks. Now he runs my old '02 Viper track(.92) with close to the same amount of nails. Yes he has tunnel guards. It's had this same problem since day one. It accelerates hard to 90ish......then it hits a wall like something is holding it back. Track tension is fine. Like I said he's a machinist that is very meticulous. He takes out the suspension every year. All his wheels are trued. Bearings are checked every year. Believe me he's no dumby.It's not really a big deal, but he was wondering about the ignition. I would assume a racer might know the answer. I do remember though in the late 90's that many racers opted not to run this sled for drags, because they couldn't get it to beat their SX600 twins.

How fast do you expect a 600 to be? My sled sounds exactly like his. I just figured that I've reached the top end of the sled. Mine beats most 600's out there, and holds it's own with a lot of 700 twins until it reaches the top end. If I wanted to go faster, I'd just get an SRX 700, but as it is, I love my 600.

He's thinking of finding a newer version SRX700. My old 600SX twin would top out at 112MPH on the speedo. I really don't know much about the 600SRX being they were such a short build.

SRX600 and 700 CDI's run the same timing curve, but the 600's valve curve is more aggressive, I believe valves open 5500 rather than 6000, and reach full open 7000 rather than 7500.

it's been awhile tho, numbers might not be accurate. either way he won't pick up anything going to a 700cdi

Thanks junior!! He isn't too fluid on the internet so I said I'd post it for him. This site is excellent for Yammie info. I always seem to find an answer here.

I'll have to dig through the archives of notes to find some clutch setups for the trail. As Junior said the 700 cdi on the 600 isn't a gain at all. Now put a 600 cdi on a 700 and you can pick up some acceleration. Some SRX 600's were real strong runners while others weren't. We had two in our group and one ran VERY strong while the other wasn't much faster than the twin. We ran one on the grass up until the 2002 summer.

my -99 srx600 with ohlins longtravel in the rear and a polaris 1 inch track,4,5 rivets in both holes on the weights,otherwise stock pulls about 106-107mph on the lake(on the speedo of course!!)with about 5 inches of snow.
last winter i pulled 118-120 on frost covered ice(on the speedo,distance about 1 mile).
in the right conditions a srx600 will go faster then 100mph,but of course a srx700 will always be faster...

Back