06 Viper Mtn Upgrades

gmac144

Hello All -
I recently purchased an 06 Viper Mtn, all stock. My understanding is they are excellent sleds, very dependable w/ decent power. I am looking at doing a few changes to it but wanted to hear what others have done with good success. I plan to break my projects into two categories, performance and riding characteristics. What are some of your thoughts on each with keeping in mind that most of my riding will be off trail playing in the backcountry side-hilling, trees, bowls, etc. The occasional trail ride will happen with the fam. My thoughts at this time are:

Performance - heel clicker clutch kit with bender 4x4 single pipe w/ can (I hear the triples tend to have overheating issues plus they tend to increase the chances of the "powder bog"), lower gearing. Thoughts/recommendations?

Riding characteristics - seems like some people have talked about modifying there rear skid. Mtndreamer I believe had a write-up on using the stock proaction skid and swapping the rails for AC 153s and using a 162 track. This eliminates having to use a different bolt pattern. If not It seems the AC 153 complete skid will directly bolt-in to the stock mounting locations? Also my buddy has an 12' AC proclimb seat he is willing to give to me. Anybody have experience with this seat in regards to fit/finish? Also handlebar riser, what is max height I can use without having to extend cables?

Thanks all for your help. If you have any nicely modded vipers I would love to see them. Share some pics.........Can't wait as the hills are becoming white!
All my buddies ride AC 800's and tell me I will not be able to keep up........all I can do is laugh.

pipes can be very dependable, you just have to take the time to jet it properly and add a srx rear cooler and maybe even change the head for better cooling properties. Heel clickers will be able to work too. The suspension swap i have not heard of yet but would probably be pretty cool if you did.

The skid in the 06 is way better than 03 and 04 Mtn Vipers. You should have the Mtn ProActive skid instead of the Mtn ProAction. Have you run it yet, and if so does it not work well for you? Of course you may simply have been bitten by the "Mod" bug, which is perfectly okay. As mentioned above triple pipes can be dependable just get good input and watch the midrange jetting. This motor really responds to triple pipes, but they do drop gas mileage. You may want to gear down if you don't pipe it.

Couple of things to be aware for this sled... Comes with a stock rear cooler, peek heads work fantastic if you have the funds, the rear skid in interchangeable with the apex i believe. Yes that means you can run almost any yamaha skid with no mods (up untill 2012 i believe), i run a timbersled skid, and there were no mods or drilling required. Found a used one online. Down side there are no throttle cables out there other then stock if you are look to lengthn it you will have to look at the power madd extension.

Back