98 VMAX growl

mdkuni

When riding our vmax this weekend I noticed it started to smell hot. The rpm's wouldn't drop until I blurped the throttle. I replaced the plugs and now when she starts up when she is cold all of a sudden the rmps will kick up to about 3 thousand and then they drop back done again, it will do it several times. Also the sled now has a deep growl to it that it has not had before. The sled as almost 8000 miles on it. Could the pipe or can have rusted somewhere and have caused this??? Any ideas?

it may but I am just guessing at this point based on what you describe. I have heard srx do the same thing if they are a tad lean on the fuel screws too.

possibly a lean fuel screw setting, or maybe a leak in a crankcase seal. With the machine running, try spraying some ether around the crankcase seals (behind the primary clutch, behind the recoil) If the rpms rise, you know you have a seal leaking. DO NOT keep running it if it has a bad seal, or you will probably lose a piston.

Looks the like both the exhaust and engine were rattling. Exhaust is fixed and the motor will need to be completely rebuilt.........Just trying to figure out if a grand should be spent or is it time to trade it in for a 4-stroke... hmmmmmm

1998 600 twin, compression is fine but the dealer says the motor is banging around so it is not making full use of the power. It has 8000 miles on it so if they tear it down they would replace everything.

Back