hey guys new to the site

mrsadak14

Hey fellow yamaha riders. My names mike and new to the site. Jist picked up my first sled. Its a 1999 yamaha vmax 500sx. Wonder of you guys could give me some feedback on the sled what you guys like about them and what you dont and common problems and if anyone else rides one id love to see them so post them up!

Attachments

• 20141108_132745.jpg
    20141108_132745.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20141108_132502.jpg
    20141108_132502.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20141108_124742.jpg
    20141108_124742.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 9

Welcome aboard.Nice sled(track looks like an aftermarket,pretty sure they came with a .75 lug stock).Check the front arm of the rear suspension for cracks(problem with all pro-action skid frames,my 04 warriors one has been welded twice).

Welcome aboard.Nice sled(track looks like an aftermarket,pretty sure they came with a .75 lug stock).Check the front arm of the rear suspension for cracks(problem with all pro-action skid frames,my 04 warriors one has been welded twice).

Thanks man. It was a two owner sled. Has 3000 miles and i picked it up for $800 bucks. What does lug mean? Sorry sorta a newbie with terminology

Lug. As in the rubber paddles on the track. Same as youd say lugs on a tire. It does look brand new in the pics which is a $650 part. Around here a sled like that could cost you $2000-2500cdn. Personally have zero experience with the 500 engine but like anything make sure to give the sled a bit of a tune up because you dont know last its been done and because you should get to know the sled.

Thanks for the tip. He had said the carbs were cleaned last year.I plan on draining the gas, putting in some fresh octane and a fresh set of plugs. Noticed grease fittings in places so plan on greasing it up.super exciTed for this machine

Welcome to the site! Nice looking sled! Your on the right rack with fresh gas (run premium in it) and plugs for sure but don't trust that the carbs were cleaned. Go through them and clean them yourself. There have been plenty of stories about guys burning down their motors in short order after trusting the previous owner. Check EVERYTHING over on the sled to make sure there's no previous mickey mouse repairs. That way you know what you've got for a sled. If you have any ?? about anything just ask. There are alot of guys with a ton of knowledge on this site, and the search feature will help too.

welcome.

i had a 2001 sx500r witch is almost exactly the same. once i clutched it, it was an awsome corner to corner sled in the trails. out on the lakes, everyone ran away from me but they respected that little bugger. any tips i can give you a hand if nessasary.

Back