need helmet advice

pete72

hey guys, im in the market for a helmet and would like to keep cost down. after looking at prices on snowmobile vs full face motorcycle it left me wondering. is there a reason not to buy a full face flip up visor motorcycle helmet? i would think it would be just fine as it has vents and such and i have yet to own a sled helmet that didn't fog. seems they would be just as warm. am i missing something??? there is a huge price difference between the 2

Buy a proper sled helmet and you wont regret it. Helmet should fit well, stop snow from entering, be well insulated, and have a well thought out vent system. You get what you pay for. Not the style you want but my 509 helmet/goggle combo works amazing for me. Before that a hjc full face and the thing fogged like crazy

I wear an Arai VX-3 Pro motocross helmet, the same one I wear on my dirt bike in the summer and it's just as good in the winter, I do wear goggles though and not a shield. The only thing I could see being a problem with a shielded summer helmet would be the lack of a breath box(if that's what it's called). Idk maybe they have them, honestly I haven't worn a shield in 20 years or so. Safety wise as long as the ratings are the same there won't be a difference.

Buy a proper sled helmet and you wont regret it. Helmet should fit well, stop snow from entering, be well insulated, and have a well thought out vent system. You get what you pay for. Not the style you want but my 509 helmet/goggle combo works amazing for me. Before that a hjc full face and the thing fogged like crazy
thanks for the input. thats the whole thing, i had a hjc in the past and hated it for the same fogging reason. total junk. thats why i am looking for just a cheap full face as i know i will still have the same problems. unfortunately im pretty broke and need to stay cheap. when i say cheap i mean cheap. the one's i was looking at were 23-24 bucks and have seen them as low as 15. i know i know you get what you pay for but for now it is what it is. better then no helmet like now.

Helmets for $25?? I wouldnt expect much ahahah. Probably better off with the hjc. Maybe invest in some goggles?

Where I run, a heated shield is necessary. When it's -35 you don't fog, you ice. I have had some trouble with the hjc shields staying together, the 2 layers peel and allow moisture in them. But the helmets are good enough for me. The only other problem I have is when I start going off trail and busting powder and breathing heavy it fogs up. This can be cured by cracking the shield open a little and plugging it in, but it's a piss off. It really depends what type of ridding you do. I would say Trails = full face, off trail = mx style.

if you have the $$$,the BRP full face helmet doesn't fog for me.I wear eyeglass's and that is the only helmet that won't fog them up.Tried all the others and still fogged.

Last edited:
thanks guys for all the responses. now im thinkin maybe an mx helmet with goggles may be the way to go. like i said in the beginning cash is a real problem right now and both styles can be had cheap. my hjc was crap right from day one and it had a breath deflector and was a fog magnet and it seems to me there is just no way around it other then getting a heated shield which will be pricey or settle with the fogging helmet or just slap on the old mx with goggles and call it a day. seems as long as i had a good sock to suit up with i would be comfy. any thoughts??????????

well had to go a little over budget but ended up paying 38.00 shipped for a mx style helmet off eBay then another 9.00 for a set of goggles so under 50 is ok. too be honest I'd rather be a little cold then stopping all the time to clear lenses and end up riding with the shield part way open and freezing anyways.

Back