Seat got wet, now it freezes solid

mdkuni

I am sure there a quite a few of you that have got your seat wet, and now it freezes up and feels like you are sitting on an ice block. I have taken the seat in for about three days straight right against a heater and tried to thaw it out but it is still wet. Should I remove the staples and pull the foam out, will it be hard to put back together???

if it got wet (like sank in water with the sled) you are better off just buying a used seat. if it is damp from a tear in the seat cover, it still will take days, weeks to dry out. your best bet is to see how saturated it is, then make a game plan. you could unstaple the cover, put the padding on a concrete floor and cover it with a sheet of ply wood and carefully run it over a time or two, to squeese as much water out as possible. then dry it for a few days. but that is alot of work. an apolstery company would be better served putting it back together for you. in my opinion, find a used seat cheaper and faster. you can always get yours dried later and sell it too. seats are going from 100-250 used. i have a new boss seat for the viper available for 350.00 shipped. good luck ski

sdb is right. Inherited an Indy way back when that went through the ice for a few days. No lie, took the foam out, and it took nearly a year to completely dry out. And that was with me trying several methods to dry it from time to time.

Look into getting another seat if it's even somewhat saturated.

I don't know anything about drying out a wet seat (thankfully) but I bet there is a good story to be told here.
Tom

Had the same problem on a friends zrt800...I had to pull the cover off and I was told by a guy the does interiors in cars to run over the foam with my truck..I could not believe the water that came out of it, I hung it put to dry for a few days and it worked great..... ;)!

lol, after i dropped my old XLT through the ice, the seat was rock solid until the day i sold it. ;):D

Tried the "running it over with the truck method," but it started to tear. Wet-Vac got some water out, at least until the vac motor started smoking. And the foam simply laughed at the Redi-Heater, hair dryer, and heat gun. Every sunny day out on the deck during the summer too, no dice. Brought it to a sheet metal bud, rigged up a "press" on his metal brake, sort of worked but the foam took on a new shape, good for those of us with only one #$%&* cheek.

Dunno. No fun trying to ride that way. I discovered that my seat was frozen while trying to cross into Canada from Drummond... not smooth ice, not pleasant. Try explaining those bruises to your wife.

Look for another seat if you can notice it freezing up while riding.

A while back had my car flooded up to the dash board, I put it in the garage closed the windows and put a dehumidfier (SP) in with a hose hoked up to the drain left it alone for one week and it was dry as a bone, still smeled like sea water but it ran and was fine. If you have a dehumidfier I would try that in a dry room for a couple of days thoes things will suck the water out of a hot tub given time. I would hate to have to replace a good seat just because it is wet. :o|

I was going to suggest the dehumidfier also. Can't believe how dry it keeps my Michigan basement... everything down there dries out!

I took the sled apart removed ALL of the staples, that was a lot of staples. Removed the foam from the plastic. Ran over it several times put it in front of the heater and stapled it back together. Time will tell, but that was a lot of work....

Back