exciter tether switch help please.

pete72

hey guys. been working away at all my 87 exciter problems and all most ready to ride but need help with my non hooked up tether switch. not sure why it was not plugged into anything but i want it to work since the tors is no longer hooked up. i suck at electrical too. i have a solid red and solid black on the tether, and im assuming these should get tide in with the kill switch on the bar?? or no? my kill switch leads are: black with white stripe next is black with yellow stripe and next is solid black. any thoughts?

A tether gets wired in parallel between any 2 wires from either the kill switch harness or key harness. Unless it's an electric start then you need to find the run and ground wires. The kill circuit is open to run then any one of the switches closing (tether, bar switch or key) will ground the magneto and it can't build spark so the sled shuts off. Check you switch first with an ohm meter to make sure it's open with the plug on. The switches do come in 2 varieties: normally open and normally closed.

A tether gets wired in parallel between any 2 wires from either the kill switch harness or key harness. Unless it's an electric start then you need to find the run and ground wires. The kill circuit is open to run then any one of the switches closing (tether, bar switch or key) will ground the magneto and it can't build spark so the sled shuts off. Check you switch first with an ohm meter to make sure it's open with the plug on. The switches do come in 2 varieties: normally open and normally closed.
don't think this really helps me as i don't have an ohms meter nor know how to use if i had one. i've looked at the service manual and am pretty sure i need to hook my 2 tether wires to the black and black with white strip to make this work. was more or less hoping someone can confirm these connections i guess. anyone????????

Back