99 MM 700-Speedo drive

dfloria

I just bought a 99 MM700. Didn't notice that the speedo didn't work as there was no snow at time of purchase. Took a look at it last week and there is no cable. So, I bought a new cable and went to install it today. What I discovered was the cable won't clear the primary due to the angle of the speedo drive. I can't change the angle, as there is only one way to bolt it on. I wish I could take a pic, but it is too tight in there to get a decent shot. The drive is pointing towards the front of the sled, pointing up at about a 45 deg angle. The 3 bolt plate has a flat edge that sits on the bottom of the belly pan. The sled has an Ekholm tunnel, and has been dropped and rolled, but I can't see why this would change anything. Anyone run into this before? Thanks in advance...D

Last edited:

Sorry....I meant to say the cable won't clear the secondary clutch. I have been looking at parts diagrams of speedo drives, and everything I find stock is a round plate with several different holes in them. If I had this, I could rotate the plate and change the angle of the speedo drive. I am assuming that the speedo drive plate I have is either aftermarket or modified, part of the drop and roll. There is only one way to mount it because one side is flat and sits on the bottom of the belly pan. I'm thinking I need to modify another drive so I can rotate it down so the drive points parallel to the belly pan, rather than up at a 45 degree angel towards the inside sheave of the secondary.

Can you cut a flat in a different location, so that the drive points parallel or a little down? The factory location for the flatlander sleds is forward and a little down. Not sure how the Elkolm or drop/roll change affects this though, w/o seeing it, but seems that if factory parts were modified with the flat, then it could be re-modified with the flat in a different location.

with the ekholm tunnel and the drop and roll, the speedo housing must be cut on one edge to allow for the shaft to be lowered and set back, most times. that portion of the housing where the cable attaches should be pointing forward and approximately upwards at 45 degrees.

there is absolutely no way that the secondary will hit that housing unless you have something going on with the jackshaft. the original install instructions with the drop and roll made mention of re-securing the cable with additional clamps secured to the bellypan.

pop your secondary off and a camera shot will do wonders to help explain your situation. i have done over a half dozen of those tunnels and never had the issue your experiencing, if i am reading correctly.

just a heads up for you, that lower coolant hose likes to fatigue with that tunnel and the drop and roll.

Snowdad, I will try to get a picture. As you said, the housing currently is pointing forward and up at approx 45 deg. It is pointing up towards the secondary clutch. The clutch and the speed drive housing has clearance, maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, but the replacement cable I have has a straight end, so the cable will hit the inside sheave of the secondary. Vertically (looking straight down), the secondary overlaps the speedo drive. I haven't noticed any belt issue (due to misalignment), so at this point I have to assume the secondary is where it's supposed to be. I can see the need to secure the cable to the bellypan for sure.

Thanks for the tip on the coolant hose. I will have a good look at it. IF the cable had fit, I was going to route it under that coolant hose.

srx700c, you say the stock drive points a little down....that is where I need my speedo drive to point. I may have to modify another drive. If I modify my current speedo drive, I think I will loose one of the three mounting holes that I need.

Again, I will have to get some pics for you guys. I'm confused now, as snowdad has done the drop and roll with the same tunnel with no issues.....
Thanks again...

Last edited:
I don't have a diagram of your exact sled, but attached is one from the 1997 700's.

1997 700 Cable Routing.jpg

Back