1994 vmax chain case

Dan351

Hello boys and girls, I'm in the middle of putting a 94 back to geather and I forgot how the spacers fit back in the chaincase to line up the gears. There are two fat(thick) washers and one thin washer. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

image.jpg. I have stared at that drawing five times. It dose not look the same. It's close but a little diffrent. I just can't seem to get the gears to line up. It's very aggrievting because I know these are all the parts I took out.

Just a regular vmax. Short track non electric start no reverse. On the diagram it shows gear #39 right against the in side housing without a spacer. If I do that the gear will be riding against the case.

you have the collars oriented correctly behind the gears as per your pic. the 11mm thick collar behind the smaller upper gear and the 7mm collar behind the lower gear.

did you re-gear and not allow for the chain length? there is a fine line that you have to reach while rotating both the jack and drive shafts to get the gears up on the splines.

define "line up". the lower gear floats on the shaft almost up to 1/4". there should also be a shoulder on the lower gear and it faces the engine side of the case.

from outside working in on the upper gear you have the nut, thrust washer, gear, and collar.

Last edited:
Wow I did not realize the bottom gear had that much side to side play. If I put one of the thick washers behind the bottom gear the retaining bolt will hold it tight to the drive shaft. That seems like the logical place to me. But the the upper gear seems like it sits to far in. So it dosent line up with the lower gear left to right. And the there is no nut on the upper gear.

I believe both wide collars fit on either side of the top sprocket, and both narrow collars/spacers fit on either side of the bottom sprocket. Not sure which size/width goes where though, it's been too long.

1994 Vmax Chaincase.jpg

Well this pic looks way closer to what I have going on. As long as the bottom gear is supposed to have 1/4" of side to side play on the shaft, this will work out. Thanks for the responses!!

Back