weird noise after reverse install.

tnc110

VIP Lifetime Member
I just installed a reverse on my 02 viper. It is making a weird noise, sounds like there is a rattle snake in the gear case. The noise is present when a load is applied. ... when you let off the throttle the noise goes away. I'm thinking the chain is slapping steel bracket that holds the center shaft. The chain is very close. I could be wrong. I tightened the tensioner pretty tight trying to get rid of the noise but no dice. .. tightened it enough to get the bearings/gears to sing and it still makes the noise. What is going on here? Metal shavings on the magnet.

Btw...I also installed a reverse on my srx. .. it is not making this noise.
I did have the skid out at the same time as the reverse install. .. maybe track isn't tracking correctly. Doesn't explain the porcupine that I pulled off the magnet.

I

Did you change all the gears to match? If the reverse came from a SX chassis sled they use different gears than the viper did.

think i would take it apart and see whats rubbing, sooner then later if it has metal flakes on the dipstick, it needs attention........

Did you misplace or leave something out? http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...ith-Pics?highlight=Reverse+chain+case+install

I was getting shaving and it turned out to be a failed bearing in the chain tensioner roller.

When the sled is in fwd can you feel free play in the linkage so the fork is riding the middle of the collar or is it tight. I just services my new to me gen 2 polaris and someone had the linkage set up so the return spring was pulling the collar into the fork all the time. That always had shaving when you'd check the oil we'll see how it goes now.

Last edited:

Back