speedo acting weird

jdub-viper 700

I got my sled last season and the speedometer never worked, thought it was the sense or something but last night I had it out for the second time this season and I looked down to see if my sled was over heating because the engine light was flashing and I saw that my Speedo was registering numbers but not the right speed it was flashing numbers but wasn't going in order it went from 3 to 10 to 5 and to 12. I was going alot faster than that. Does anyone know what would cause this and what I need to look at/fix?
Thanks, John

either the sensor or the wires going to speedo.

you need to count the sequence of the flashing light to see what trouble code the sled is producing to see what elese is wrong.

the warning light flashes in three flash sequences and some times it flashes from when i first start it to the end of my ride and sometimes it doesn't flash at all. would a sensor be bad or what?

more then likely it has wire harness chaff in it and thats why sometimes it touches and sometmes it doesnt. Are the hand and thumb warmers working all the time?

it takes time for them to turn on but i assume that is normal other than that they always work, and I'm not sure what is happening because last night i went for a run with everyone and blew a coolant hose and the warning light went on as it over heated like it was supposed to. and the sequences are all the same its not a random thing

if its 3 flashes its either the throttle position sensor on the carb rack or the thumb warmer. it depends on how long the flashes are as they are coded.

i think they are like one to two seconds long, I'm sorry I'm still learning about my sled, how would i go about checking the throttle position on the carb rack? the flashes don't seem to be nerving and not a huge deal ? i thought the flashing was from overheating

Back