95 Vmax 500 rear suspension

Manuka

95 Vmax 500 Le
I need to rebuild the rear suspension, never been done. I have found the rear spring and shock and I know the center is only from OEM. I think it runs 250.00 or so from yamaha. Anyway I weigh about 270 and wanted to replace the rear shock and spring with something a bit stronger than what was stock. The existing suspension has zero rebound in it.

Are there "stronger" springs and shocks or would the standard after market replacents work? Also should I compress the spring more? Would this help support my weight and supply more rebound?

My brother also has the same sled and we replaced his rear spring and shock last weekend. However once we re-installed everything and sat on the sled the seat did not rebound much :eek: Almost as if nothing had been replaced!
Whats the deal with that?

I would really appreciate any advice...
Mike

You could check and see if Yamaha offers a "stiff" spring for your sled. Also, I would put some Ohlins on it. They will give you a little bit better ride and they wont fade.
I dont think that cranking up the preload would help any, you need stiffer springs.
About your brother's sled, I cant really give a good opinion on that without actually seeing what the sled does, but I do have one theory. Perhaps because it has a new shock, it is so much more well-dampened than it was with the old shock that it seems like the suspension doesnt rebound much because the shock does its job much better than the old one did.
Hebi

i would put a new suspension in that thing long before i would bother with ohlins on it. Ohlins will run you at least $700, you could have much better spent that money on most of a new suspension, like an m10 or expert, or even a more modern proaction, or even another brands suspension. That suspension is just an old design, and can only be made so good. Suspensions are just like anything else, technology leads to vast increases in performance and ride. Just depends what you want out of it.

Mike, sounds like something is binding on your brothers skid for it not to be moving double check everything on the linkage it might be obvious, those shafts have plastic bushings that may need to be replaced.
As for your sleds having no rebound the stock shocks are probably worn so you are just riding the spring with no dampening from the shocks...how many miles on your sleds??
Pulling your suspensions and getting them up on a bench and apart is the best way, get the shafts out and clean them up, re-grease, new bushings, straight shafts ect....hope this helps....CP

I have Öhlins in my MMax. What a difference ;)! , but STILL IT´S NOT A BUMP JUMPER. If you want quality with good performance, go with Öhlins. But if you want more travel out from your skid, change the hole thing to a modern one. When serviced those Öhlins will last many years.

I like to keep things stock, but it´s just me.

Back