SXR 700 Mods

albernhagen

Hey All,

I've got a 2001 SXR 700 with about 5600 miles on it that's all stock. I was considering selling it and getting a early/mid 2000s used rev style Ski Doo 600/800. However, I'm thinking for the same money, I could mod my sled to get the performance I want and then I could stay with my favorite red head triple motor. Since I'm new to this arena, I'm wondering what you guys recommend as mods? I'd really like to convert my sled into something that rides closer and smoother to how the revs ride as well as put a long track on it. I've got more wealthy friends that get new Renegades every year, and let's just say that my back hurts much more riding in the roughed up northern WI trails for 100 miles than there's does. I don't think the engine needs anything extra, though I'm open to input in regards to clutching and/or a set of triple pipes. If you have other threads you recommend I read, feel free to just point me there. Thanks for the information, guys!

The M10 seems like a good way to go for me. How does that compare to rider forward sled like the revs? Does it get pretty close if you do that, a new seat, and handlebar risers?

Also, are the M10s all the same? Can I buy any used one off the forums or ebay, or are there different fits for different sleds?

After doing some more reading, it seems that there are other suspensions that work great, like the SC10-3. It's tough finding good used M10s, and they seem to bring pretty high money even in used condition. I've ridden some friends' revs and that's the cushy feel I'm attempting to recreate over the moguls. I'm doing some more searching but I'm wondering if anyone has a particular guide/build to direct me to about installing this suspension since I don't see anything on the tech pages for this particular suspension?

Last edited:
Check out the working logs/ user builds for some ideas for mods. Lots of guys have done some sweet builds. You really need to decide how much money you have to work with and weigh out the pros and cons of what you are trying to achieve. I love my yamaha and have modded quite a bit over the last two seasons, to make it my own kind of "crossover/mountain sled" it rides nothing like a rev lol. For what it seems like you want your going to need to change a lot. Some things to think about... Are you going to be turning wrenches or are you paying someone to? Do you mind tinkering with things until they are right, are you going to be buying new parts or used? Are you planning on doing this during the riding season or waiting till the summer? Doing all mods at once or spread out? What I've found out with these sleds is, things seem to snowball.... It's not just as easy as pipes and skid.... For example. You pipe it, now you have clutch and jet,... But now you long track...rail extensions , new track, tunnel extensions, hose extensions, add wheels, longer Hyfax and while you're at it srx heat exchanger because you piped... And now while you have the track out mine as well do extroverts, and new driveline bearings, re-gear... Now re clutch again because you geared down... And we haven't even talked about new seats and bars/ risers and lengthening cables... Front end/shocks set ups, aftermarket skis....ect..ect..ect.... You can literally change everything on these things. I'm not trying to talk you out of it by any means. Just giving you some ideas to think about, like I said I love my sled because it's old and I think it's cool and I enjoy working on, tinkering with it... It's fun and it's always ongoing... And I think that's how a lot of guys on here are. At the end of the day it's still not going to be a rev. If that's what you want it will be easier to sell yours and buy one. If you want a sweet mod sled, you need time, money, patients, tools, beer haha TY! Good luck!

Thanks for the info, j5ferry1. I'm hoping to use this sled as a chance to improve my mechanical skills. My dad has been a mechanic all his life and my day job revolves around computers, so I'm hoping to improve on my skills (with his help, of course). I love my Yamaha and I don't think you can beat the reliability of those redhead triples. I'm mostly looking for a way to improve the ride as the stock suspension just kicks the crap out of me compared to my friends on their revs. That's why I'm hoping to find a used skid to drop in (potentially the SC10-3 from a friend) and I will put on a new 1.25" track and stud it. I might put on new skis and am wondering if I should do anything with the front shocks on the SXR (are they different than what's on a SX Viper?). I'd also like to follow the mods on the tech pages to do the handle bar risers and the seat riser, which combined with the skid I think it will get me where I want to be. As far as performance mods go, I'm trying to go with Turk's setup (also on the tech pages) and have already bought some of the clutch pieces I will need to get there. I'll do the head gasket mod and the reed notch mod, and possibly the bored silencer (though I'm worried it will be too loud). I will probably do these mods in the spring/summer when riding season is done (which doesn't seem too far away in WI).

Everything seems pretty straightforward to me other than dropping in a new skid. I'm just not sure what the best one is to install that both rides nicer (I don't expect to completely match a rev) and isn't terrible to install since I'm learning. I plan to do it during the summer as I know it will be slow going as I figure things out. I've done nothing but read these TY forums for the past week! I appreciate all the guys that have given me some advice so far.

A skid replacement is for sure a good place to start and not too hard to do. Just try and get the mounting locations off of whatever sled you get it out of so you can transfer those measurements to you're tunnel. Front shocks should be decent. Not sure how they compare performance wise to a viper. Most guys recommend staying away from the head gasket mod with today's fuels. I think the bored stock silencers sound good, not crazy loud. Plus it doesn't cost much. When you raise the seat and bars it's definitely an improvement.

I can steer clear of the head gasket mod then. I was only going to do one layer anyway, but sounds like it might not be worth it. I'll probably give the bored silencer a shot. I like hearing that triple rumble, anyway. Do you know if there is a copy of the "Pro-Action Front System" link from the tech pages? The link it references is dead now: http://hem.passagen.se/rogg/yamsetup/startsida_eng.htm

Hey I have a question I have a 98 700 srx that the stator is out in I have a 98 vmax that has a blown motor in but the stator is good could I use the stator out of the vmax in the srx

Back