Maine state sled registration

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I need some help from a Maine resident. Here's my situation. 2 and a half years ago I bought my 01 SRX from a guy in the southern part,below Augusta, got my bill of sale,asked 3 times for a registration but he didn't have it and wouldn't even begin to know where to look for it. Anyway I headed back home,got to the border and paid my taxes,didn't do the 72 hour thing,got the RIV done and figured all I had to do was go to the motor vehicle office and transfer the sled into my name. Well time passed and before I knew it summer had come so I went to see about the transfer. I was told I'd need the original title even though the seller assured me he had sold boats to Canadians before and all that they needed to register them was a bill of sale. So I've tries 3 times to register this sled,even went to an office with someone I know that usually will help slide things through but still no go.

So to make a long story short how do I go about obtaining the original title in the state of Maine? I haven't called the previous owner yet to see if he could get it,I would like to see if there's any way I could take my bill of sale to the DMV or wherever it us that rec vehicles are register and get the title.

I have never had a snowmobile or atv title. Everything can be reg with a bill of sale here in maine. Sounds like the dmv don't wanna help you just pass it off. Maybe a game warden could help you better.

The seller can go to the DMV and get a replacement registration, the issue might be is when he bought the sled he never got the registration, or failed to register his purchase. Hopefully he was the registered owner and is willing to go get a replacement registration. Good luck

Yeah that's what you'll probably have to do. I just sold a trailer and couldn't find the registration, went to the dmv and got a replacement for free to give to the buyer. I'm sure he could mail, email or fax it to you. I don't understand why they couldn't just register it with the vin though.

I posted this same thing on a local facebook group and got a response stating that there's a form I can fill out and swear an oath that the purchase was legit and all,and that should get me around having to screw around with trying to get an old title.I have a friend that works at one of the service offices up here and I'll see if she can corroborate this.

Back