unusual viper issues

tnc110

VIP Lifetime Member
My brother went to take his viper out for the first time this year after cleaning carbs and power valves and had some issues. It was about -5 and the trail was groomed the night before and set up really tight...icy actually. Before we took off he noticed the headlight was very dim, almost off. We looked around for a short and found the helmet cord was grounding on the floor board. Rode it for 2 or 3 miles or so and it over heated. The heat exchangers were warm. He has the rear heat exchanger. Everything is stock. We towed it back and went to load it and it was running rough. Backfired enough to blow the pipe off the silencer. Had a bad bog and would hardly move. Acted similar to how it was acting last year with a rub through. Did the helmet chord shorting cause any sort of damage?...it is un fused and plugged in the harness behind the bar pad.

i'm going to pull the thermostat and make sure it is working...just wanted to see if any these symptoms were tell tale signs of a known failure some where.

My buddy had his viper there too, set up the same exact way as my brothers and his did not overheat, until we used it to tow my brothers. (trail was packed tight and probably wasn't throwing enough snow)

very well possible you burned either the stator plug or the headlight harness wires and then they ground out. I would check first the big black rubber boot over the wires by recoil see if the stator plastic plug is melted. then carefully look at the headlight harness wires where they plug onto the bulbs did they melt?

also,unrelated but if you guys take these vipers up to u.p. riding youll want to raise the needles in those for sure,even bone stock they need it or will burn down either the center or mag cylinders.

Ok. Will be adding fuses to a helmet cords. ...I don't know why we didn't do that on the first place. I would not be surprised if those tiny little helmet cord wires melted and are causing a short also.

I will check the needles also I know I did that on one of the Vipers can't remember about the other one.

Thanks guys.

Back