Vmax 600 pistons

95 Vmax600

At 4000 miles, one of my pistons decided to let go. I compression checked both before tearing it down. Cylinder #1 was a good 135psi, while the one left was a low 75. I rode it around for a while like that until I heard a bang. Then it would not run anymore, and compression dropped to 40psi. So I started tearing it down today to see what is wrong. Welp, It needs a new piston. The walls on the inside of jug are not too badly scored. So I think I can get away with just a new piston. I just tool around in this sled in the winter. Ride it to the barn or where ever around the property instead of the ATV.

aE4dpUJ.jpg

Is this a good deal for a piston kit? Also is the right one I need? I have a 1995 Vmax 600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sports-Part...600-/291117906492?hash=item43c7faba3c&vxp=mtr

my sled.

Z3R2vgB.jpg

Does anyone know in order to replace the gasket, do I need to remove the other jug? Or is the gasket two pieces and I can just replace one side at a time.

You might as well go ahead and replace the other one. It's probably not too far behind the one that let go. At least install new wrist pin, rings & a roller bearing.
For what you do with the sled, that piston in the link will be fine.

If you just replace the one you'll probably end up with 150 and 135 psi compression. That's a 10% difference between cylinders and on the high end. Be best to replace both but if on a budget you could just re-ring the other one and hone both cylinders. Not sure about SPI pistons, I don't have any experience with them.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am getting both cylinders honed out at a local shop for about 75 bucks. Seems like a good price. I got new rings for the other side to help with the compression. So I hope both will be in that 10% range when I am done.

As for the carbs I am going to rebuild them. I hope I can get them tuned it just right. It's been years since I tore apart a snowmobile engine, but this one is going pretty easy.

I don't race this sled. It is mostly just for around the property to get around when the snow hits. Once in a while I will rip it across the farm land, and it will go pretty good. Well it used to before that one piston let go.

I have never had any problems with this sled. It has always started up with the second or third pull when really cold out. Once it warms up. She fires up in one quick pull.

Back