Speedo drive insert removal

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I have 2 broken drive axles and would like to get the insert for the speedometer drive out of them to keep just in case.How can I successfully get these inserts out without ruining them?I assume they are threaded in but are they right hand thread or left?

I think in my order for the drive shaft bearing, I added a part called connector because I wasn't sure what it was. If thats what it is and I don't need it, I could sent it to you if the parts ever come. I thought they would be here Mon but nope so I'm hoping for tuesday. I ordered #2 in the diagram, is this it? What ever it is, it was $6.13 and I know it isn't the joint or link.

Attachments

• drive bearing parts.png
    drive bearing parts.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Well I did it!!***###!!.. Like many others who travel the path of repair we have to use compromise and a whole lot of patience! OK the little cable drive broke off for me too, ordered a new one with the insert also.Got at her today,first off if the axle is still in the sled, go get yourself one of those 90 degree drill adapters,you NEED it to get in there. I tried everything to get at that broken off cable,no way, even to dill into it is impossible.So the most interesting part of this project is that the insert has the larger part which adheres to the axle.So work your way up in drill bit sizes to exactly 9/32 and it'll grab that little bugger and you are home free!!!It came out,but you have to be dead on inline with your axle(drill straight)so you don't drill into the axle shaft,there was no way I was going to remove the axle for this unless it was the last resort!!Also before I tapped the new insert in I never siezed it. Thanks for all the help on this site and may my job help the next...

Back