Clutch problems, HELP!!!

MonctonR1

Website
www.gixxer.20m.com
I have a 1997 SX700 that is pretty much stock except a helix and a Bender Cannister. The problem is that I am getting close to 120 KM's on a tank (80 miles +/-) and the top speed is only around 130 KM/H (80 +/- MPH)... I think the sled is over-reving cause I have seen 9000-9500 RPM consistently... I thought it may have been a used belt, but I have just replaced it with no results...

The sled has wicked acceleration up to 120 KM/H and then just falls flat on it's face!

I am thinking that my clutches may need to be rebuilt. Would a worn out clutch cause it to over-rev like this??? The sled has over 20000 KM's on it without ever having the clutches taken apart...

Any help would be appreciated.

my first reply did not seem to get posted????
Lets try again.

20000kms and never had clutch work...it is time. Bushings and springs will have to go, probably the rollers will need replacing. Clean them out well while rebuilding. I was overreving with my SX700R and did some slutch work and cleaned as per advice from this site and now she rocks. 160Kms on the speedo no problem. I have reed spacers, 2 layers romoved from head gasket, clutching, camo track studded and bender can. My next thing is suspension as I know I am losing some HP to the track due to shocks needing rebuild.
Rip those clutches apart.

Royal Distibuting sells the bushing and botton kit. As far as springs you will have to get these seperatly as well as the rollers if needed.

One thing to also look for is the primary spring binding in the pocket it sits in on the spider. My 2000 SXR700 was over-revving and actually breaking springs. The dealer could not figure it out, so after some investigation, I did.
Chamfering the edge of the pocket so the spring coil wouldn't catch it solved the problem. If the spring is catching on yours, you should be able to see the gall marks.

yea you should definately be rebuilding those clutches with that many miles on them. All bushings, rollers, weights, springs, etc, need to be inspected and replaced if worn. Make sure you don't over look the bushing on the primary cover too, that is a common one to cause clutching binding and overrev.

Back