Problems mowing the lawn

Viktory2k1

VIP Member
Ever have one of those days when everything goes wrong? "Found" these in same day.
The one in the bush are Bald Faced hornets and the other one is underground Yellow Jackets.

Attachments

• bees 001.jpg
    bees 001.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 13
  • bees 002.jpg
    bees 002.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 11
  • bees 003.jpg
    bees 003.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

I never got stung and I was inches from them both. I sprayed them and cut/dug them up that night. The big one was sitting on a picnic bench for 2 weeks and some eggs must have hatched because all of a sudden, they were crawling out of the nest!

Many years ago I worked for a large private golf course, responsible for maintaining all the equipment, running the loader/backhoe and a small dozer. One late summer day, I took the dozer over to our mulch yard where we dumped everything from grass clippings to piles of leaves to small dead shrubs throughout the year, a few times a year I had to pile up all the material. I loved that job, pushing all the accumaluated material in the yard into a large pile in the back where it would decompose. Great fun running that type of equipment. As I am pushing the piles of debris, I am focused on the blade looking over the front of the dozer when I feel things landing on me then stinging me arms. I look around and I am getting covered with pissed off yellow jackets, hundreds of them!! I jumped off the dozer, and rolled on the ground while swatting at the nasty bastards. The dozer kept going on its merry way until it scraped up a load big enough to stall it. I got stung over 2 dozen times and it was a few hours before I went back to the dozer armed with cans of bee killer!!!!! Good thing i am not allergic to bee stings. I kept doing that task for a few years afterward, too much fun to pass up for some dam bees.

Where were they? Oh i see, Must have not been an enclosed dozer. We had a street sweeper at work and it was an old one, just sitting. Well, 1 day, we just had to get it running.(I think bigwigs were in town or something). So boss is ethering it while I'm inside cranking it(glow plug motor also!)It fires up and I got out. Boss goes in and starts messing with controls and I climbed up the steps to tell him not to put it in gear(stuff piled all around it) and as I'm talking to him, I notice something moving by his head. The heater core is mounted overhead and part of shroud was missing and there was a huge wasp nest right next to his head! For regular paper wasps, that was a big nest. Needless to say he got out in a hurry!

Back