off season forum activity?

Will be here. The daughter and i are redoing her viper. Nothing too big just some new color, few simple mods and such. but will be fun.

Hey...uhm......If your out of sleds to go threw from stem to stern feel free to stop by and pick up any of mine...just have to drop it back off before snow flies! I work for miss dig, 80+ hrs every week while its warm out so am only here a few times a week. Collect unemployment all winter so am here every day...some times 3-4 times a day! Got to break up the snow plowing, snow shoveling, snow blowing, trail grooming and the occasional snow mobile ride!

Will be here. The daughter and i are redoing her viper. Nothing too big just some new color, few simple mods and such. but will be fun.

now there's a thread im looking foreward to.....enjoy your mod threads SUPER1C!!!! cant wait till my kids are old enough to help ( in a way that is actually helpful) with sled projects....I got 3 minions running around the house and the oldest will be 8 this spring....im sure its good summer bonding.....and that way im not the only one loosing skin off my knuckles LOL

Last edited:
I know most of us get busy with all sorts of other activities like outdoor chores and warm weather sports and hobbies. I get so darn busy I don't spend enough time on here during the summer but this year I have a lot of sled work and upgrades to do. I hope to be on daily to share my projects and get advice.

I'll still look at new posts and read old builds and things. MX bikes take over in the summer so I tend to focus more on that. Might do a few things to the sled before next season though.

im hoping to dig something up very soon now that im sled-less and who knows what i will find. its prime time to hunt Yamaha's!!!!!!!!!!!! everyone is selling its just a matter of finding the next treasure. may as well buy a couple just for redundancy!!!! and who knows maybe i will find a riding partner too for next season. at any-rate i plan on being here all season long. lots of great reading and learning to be had for me

Isn't that the one with the sculls wrap? I like the builds, especially off season. Maybe going to try an Apex Pete? The only way I could get my kid near a sled is if I taped a $100 bill to the seat! The last good day riding, I asked him if he wanted to join along, this time he made sense and said he doesn't have a snowmobile safety cert. He's right, then I said hop on the back of mine and some lame excuse followed. You couldn't keep me away from them when I was his age. He keeps telling me that his Great Uncle(his Late moms side) has an old sled he will give my son as a project sled. I keep telling him to go get it and more lame excuses. It sounds like an 80 El tigre, maybe the good one. I would love to do something like that with him. Its been sitting for a long time, right up my alley! I think I took him for a ride when he was like 10 and he liked it then. Now hes gonna be 20.

Last edited:
looking forward to it! she losing interest in the pink? what are the planned mods?

Still likes the pink, just changing it up. But not sure now as the wife and I are getting new sleds with next years spring check and she wants the wife's long track. So may wait till next summer. But we were doing a black out with pink edgewràp hood and tunnel wràp. Then black skid with pink rails. Apex bars and riser. So not sure if this year or next.

Oooh, I want to do the apex bars and risers this summer as well. Let me know how it goes! What are you and the wife getting for sleds?

It will be the new vipers most likley xtx. Even doing some research on the turbo but doubt id need that. It is the last year of the contract with cat but i dont see this partnership going anywhere and i would guess the new skid is going to be for a new apex of some sort for 2017 or 50th anniversary year of 2018. Neither of us need the big power of the apex so not worried about missing out on that. But im sure the the guessing game with start soon enough on the 4 stroke side. LOL! I have done the apex bars on both mine and the wifes and love them. Did go with big enough risers that i needed new cables and break line but all worth it. Great mod to match the boss seats.

Not to thread highjack, but anyone here ride 2 stroke bike in the yz family? Just looking for some opinions on how often you guys are doing top and bottom ends.

Not to thread highjack, but anyone here ride 2 stroke bike in the yz family? Just looking for some opinions on how often you guys are doing top and bottom ends.

I have 2 yz's. My 1990 yz250WR has had the top end done twice since I bought it in 1995, once I blew a piston because it was jetted too lean, the second time was just to freshen it up, never touched the bottom end. My other bike is an 02 yz 250, engine has never been opened, has good compression and still runs awesome. 250's can run for a long time without having to do any engine work to them. 125's and 80s don't seem to last nearly as long. I guess it all depends how often and how hard you ride.

My street legal (barely) wr450f 12000km without even having to adjust valve clearances even with hotcams installed. Yamaha makes one hell of a reliable bike.Screenshot_2015-04-03-00-45-54.jpg

My street legal (barely) wr450f 12000km without even having to adjust valve clearances even with hotcams installed. Yamaha makes one hell of a reliable bike.View attachment 58140
The cams in the WR450 is a popular mod in the YFZ450 forums(Gives more reliability and low end power).The Carb 2012 YFZ450 my brother owns also has the WR cams right from the factory.160+ hours on the motor so far(Knock on wood)

I had well over 150hrs on my yzf250, I adjusted valves twice in this time frame...second time I installed the hotcams. Great bikes!

I'll be building my XLV 540 long track as my off season activity!

Last summers project was with my little taco. Bought it from a towns auction where a feller had passed away 7 years ago and its been sat ever since. first off i 2 toned it red/copper and bedliner, added 32x11.5 tires, toytec coilovers and skyjacker leafs, no-slip differential, exhaust/intake. Time for some armour this year. The little is only as wide as some sideXsides and go just about anywhere. PART_1426738340179_mms_img302051315.jpgDSC_0022.jpgDSC_0053.jpgIMG_20150210_141522.jpgDSC_0317.jpg
Last pic was yesterday.

Back