16" track in a Viper

Mtnviper

VIP Member
Anyone tried it yet? According to my calculations there should be about 1/4" to 5/16" clearance on each side.
Also has anyone had a chance to compare the 16" to 15" wide track's, for floation/traction?

It will fit, you just need aftermarket or custom made drop brackets. 16" tracks are great, you will notice the added floation. ===SRXSRULE===

Thanx for the reply, Rules! I've been thinking about going from my 136" 1.5", I have now to a 136" 16" 1.75" Ski-Doo track. Even though I ride the mountains, I still like the 136" length tracks for the type of snow (wet) we get. Easier for me to "throw" the sled around also.

Nobody I ride with has a Doo, so I've never tried out the 16" tracks. But I figure it would be a good way to gain some traction/floatation and still keep the same length for manuverablity.

It looks like the 1.75" lug will still work with 9 tooth's, might be close though. I have a Cat 1M skid in it, clearance between the torque sensing links and track looks like it would work.

SNAKEBIT, looks like you would need a 144". I been checking around, dosn't look like they make a 141" in a 16 incher.

Also I have another thread started on Snowest in the Yamaha section. Cbolt has posted some good pic's, of some of the mod's required to put a 16" track in a Viper.

Last edited:
Snakebit

Where are you from? I'm in Dubuque. Sometime I'd like to see your Viper. Did you extend it or is it a mountain viper? I'm putting a camo 9860 1 1/4 on my Viper this summer. I'm curious about the clearance you have with your 1 1/2 track.

West of Dubuque @ 60 miles Oelwein Hwy 3 & 150
I went to school in dubuque, raised in Balltown
hempstead 1982, rode the Balltown River Trails alot and know alot of guys from that area, my folks still live by Balltown.
2002 Viper with mountain performance tunnel extension, Tracks usa rail extensions,
136 x 1-1/2" CPR viper pipes with tempa-flow, just went out west with George L. and his son Scott, my brother, and a friend Rob what a BLAST!!
I could take some pictures and e-mail you

Last edited:
Snake

I am in Oelwein every other Friday running my sales route. Give me your number and I'll call ya sometime when I'm coming over that way.My cell# is 563-590-3842. Thanks, Chad.

sales for what??
for who??
shop phone 319-283-4040 (there 7:30am - 5:00 pm) sled is also at the shop!

I am a sales rep for an auto paint jobber. I grew up in Aplington, so I spent alot of time around W'loo. Been in Dub. since 1992. I saw your e-mail address said something about avalon. One of my customers is the Avalon body shop in Richardsville. Any relation? I should be in Oelwein this Friday, if I'm not running too late I'll give you a call. Like to see your Viper. Who do I ask for?

own Avalon Tire & Service Center in Oelwein
worked at Avalon Service in Rickardsville for 10 years then moved to Oelwein in 1989
know Kevin, Merl & Dale from working at Rickardsville, they did work for me then.
we do alignment for some body shops in town, who do you supply?
stop in we are located by K-mart south side of town on hwy 150

cool

I just talked to Robby from B and L this morning. I also call on Steve at Birdnow. I'll try to stop by on my way to Independence on Friday. Sounds like I go right by your place all the time. See ya, Chad.

you a Dupont rep?
or sell supplies?
yes you drive right by my shop going to Indy, stop in if I am not real busy at the time I can show you my Viper.
the guys I went out west with George L. and Scott are Merl's brother inlaw and nephew, see you some time?

Yep, I sell Dupont and all other products that body shops use like 3M abrasives and such. I see Dale , Merl, and Kevin on Fridays before I head out towards Strawberry Point and then to Oelwein and down to Indepence. I'll try to stop in on Friday late afternoon if I can. What was your name so I know who to ask for? See ya, Chad.

if you tell my wife in the office that your from Totally Yamaha web site SHE will know who your looking for. Marty

I have a couple of ride's in now with the 16" track. Work's great! It's been spring snow conditions so it's hard to tell much difference in floation. I do have a lot more traction though, both under acceleration and braking. Most likely some of it has to do with the different lug pattern too. The sled is easier to boondock in the mountains now, I dont have to worry as much about keeping my speed up when hitting the hills.
I did have to grind a little off the chain case nuts/bolts, and use plenty of loctite. Also I ground the excess length off the rivit's that were sticking out in the tunnel. Probably could have left them alone, but I had the die grinder out and it was easy to do while the track was out.

16 inch track on a Viper or MM

Several people in my riding group have changed to 16 inch tracks using the stock tunnel. You are exactly right about the side clearance. However, if you look under a mountain rev you will see about the same clearance as you think you will have on your Yamaha. Pay attention to the gear ratio if you intend to mountain ride. The increased hook up will cause the transmission to heat soak everything under the hood. The ideal gear ratio is reported to be 2.15 - 2.20. Hope this helps.

if a guy runs 2.2 on a stock viper?
I have pipes @ 7% more rpm, should I try 18/42 = 2.33? (still could use 68L chain)
thats what I was thinking, last year I smoked a couple belts and I think the heat got to them threads popping out the sides. I was running 21/38 9 tooth = 1.8

Back