Server Wide Shut Down!!!

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
I am thinking about having a server shut down for a week around Xmas..do I can enjoy the Holidays for once.I cant seem to get people to understand that the site is a fun area and not area to contstantly complain. I shut the TY4strokes site off last night after getting upset with some users that just dont seem to care about anything but themselves. I am doing the best I can here. Getting hit from both ends is not the kind of fun I was hoping for on this site. I think I am finally on my last legs.

If there is anyone out there that is really serouis about running a site like this please contact me with an offer.

Tom

I'd say if you need the time shut it down for the holidays. I was always afraid if it got to big, this would be the result. You do a great job Tom, and I have always enjoyed this site. You deserve haveing a great holiday season like everyone else. Do what you need to do. Merry christmas. Paul

Yes - what Paul said..........

Plus this would not be the same without ya sleddy.......

shut it down for the holiday, hell everyone is out sledding anyway....

Take a break man.

Tod

I've been through issues like this on another forum i'm a part of (www.zr2.com), and it all comes down to self-moderating. Moderators definitely help, but controlling your own attitude and actions makes the biggest difference (not directed towards anyone, just a blanket statement).

Take a break Tom.
Christmas week would be a good time. You get to enjoy the holidays and I Imagine traffic to the site will be off because of the number of people taking trips, not to mention not working. I believe you are responsible for the second most amount of lost work productivity behind the guy that invented computer solitaire.
Seriously thanks for a great site and all your efforts, they don't go unnoticed or unappreciated no matter what my wife calls you everytime she looks at my sled.

Out of curiosity... is it possible to shut down the ability to make new posts, and leave the search function open? (In case people need to get info on fixing their sleds)

Tom, both this and the 4 stroke site are really great, and very well run. I noticed that TY4-stroke was down last night, but I wasn't aware of any controversy.

I admin a couple of different forum sites (certainly smaller than these), and I'm familiar with the monumental headaches involved re: security, abusers, complainers, maintenance, upgrades. Some people get downright cranky if a web site goes down, with no thought to the effort it takes to put it up in the first place and keep it running.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider turning these two sites into subscription-based forums. A subscription compensates a site admin for his significant time requirement. While it might indeed prevent some people from joining, most of these subscription-based forums charge less than the cost of a music CD annually. And it would likely have the effect of keeping some of the riff-raff out as well. I don't see much of that here, but apparently you do.

twocents.gif

When the ty forum was going to be down for a couple of hours the other night i was just playini hope i'm not the few poeple you was talking about that only think of theirselfs if so i'm sorry it came across like that so just do what youu think you have to do and enjoy your holidays thanks for everything you've done here, Derek

Tom you have alot of moral support here. We are behind you 100%. Take a deep breath, have a few beers and enjoy the holidays.

You need to keep this site or the TY historical MR SLED front SXR shocks I just purchased are worthless....lol....and the signed underwear that the other TY memeber has would be nothing but some other guys old crusty undies...YUK...lol
I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous and Happy New Year.
Bob Lavergne (yamyrider).

I support all desicions made by you regarding this site. Take any time you need. Spend time with your family, with no worry about who is complaining or abusing the site. I do wish TY will stay up for years to come, as I have gained unvalueable amount of knowlage and gained some friends. But it is YOUR site so do what you wish. And I hope this will be a wake up call to the complainers and abusers of the TY sites. Let's keep it fun here!!!

Happy Holidays to you and your family, Tom. And happy holidays to all the other TY members!!!!!

Well said about meeting friends and about the knowledge we all gain from this site.
I have learnt so much from reading and posting and have so much fun on this site that I would br truely sad if it were to disapear.

And I just gotta say for those of you that come here to do nothing but complain or to cause trouble..GO ELSEWHERE.

I belong to 3 other forums and TY is the most respected out there. Lets keep it fun.

This is a great site and most certainly a credit to Tom and the TY team. I havn't been a member long enough to understand the issues well enough to make suggestions, however, I have enough experience working as a senior manager to know that TY is at risk of losing its CEO. Maybe this site has outgrown the administrative structure that created it. Generally, when that sort of things happens in an organization, high quality people are often lost.

Here are some thoughts for your consideration.
1) Big Mack is right on...if everyone paid a user fee, ....well, his points are my points.
2) Maybe the CEO responsiblity could be shared so one person does not burn out.
3) Maybe the bitcher issues could be managed publically. If someone complains, move the post to a section where all members can act as judge and jury.
4) Maybe the role of moderator needs to be made more public. While there is only one MrSled, perhaps each forum could be the responsiblity of a mini MrSled and everyone would know who that person is. MrSled, the CEO, needs to focus on more global issues. The true CEO's role is visionary, not operational.
5) Perhaps individuals who are interested in providing an administrative role could serve a period of indentureship, shadowing and learning from an existing moderator. This would make it possible for people to take a break knowing they have trained backup.

Well, there's some thoughts for now. Tom, we have never met but the quality of this site, your selection of friends, the support you have, the wisdom you show in the way you handle some of the issues tells me everything about you I need to know. Take the time you need to regain your perspective and balance. I know you can count on those close to you to step up to the plate. Merry Xmas to you and your family.

Tom you are the MAN and this is your baby,
you have greated it, pampered it, brought it along this far, and it turned out better I think then anyone could have imagined.
you don't let some meat head from down the street tell you how to raise your kid,
and dont let them tell you what to do here or get you down, do what you have to do and ALL of us will back you and support you. HELL we all want time off you need to take some TOO. GO FOR IT of course that justs my opinion ..SNAKEBIT..

Back