srx hard on fuel

srxz

01 700 srx seems to use a lot more gas than my 98 srx. I checked the main jets 150 150 152.5 and the pilot 47.5, not sure on the needle clip. Sled runs really strong, has 3800 km and radared at 111 just a hare off the srx guys that were running that day. Just for comparison, RX 1 took 9 bucks 800 renegade took 14 bucks and mine took 14 bucks to fill tank after a short ride. Any suggestions where the fuel mileage is going? I am happy with the sled otherwise but gas is getting expensive around here!

the spec from my 01 srx manual says pto 150 center 148.8 mag 148.8 i'd just say your jetted fat. as long as you got an 01. 00 and 02 had different jetting specs, be careful if you truely dont know the year. also i put a tempaflow on my srx and it gives me awsome mileage. ski

srx

you will go faster with the fat jetting
I have a 2001 srx with the same jetting as you with a cold air kit.I blocked off the cold air kit and changed the air box back to stock and ran 115 mph in 2000 feetand i weigh 230 lb.Mr sled is probebly right because i get great fuel mileage.Your track

You will not go faster with a rich jetted sled. And you will have poor fuel mileage compared to one that is jetted and clutched correctly.

Jetting

Stock pilots on a "01 SRX are supposed to be 40, not 47.5 and the mains should be 150, 148.8, 148.8. Needles should be in the middle (#3). Fuel screws 1 1/8 turns out. Unless you have some mods, the way you're jetted you could probably ride at about 100 below zero. Also, make sure you check the main jet stagger because the PTO is the one that should have the bigger jet. The '98's & (I believe) '99's had the opposite stagger with the MAG side being 2 sizes richer. The reason I say this is I have a buddy who just bought a used '00 SRX and it had the wrong jetting stagger (MAG side was 2 sizes richer) and the airbox had the vertical dividers inside it like the '98's had. The guy he got it from must have been a bit confused. Anyway, I ran '01 main jetting in my '00 SRX w/ 42.5 pilots and a Tempaflow w/ great performance & mileage. If you're stock, I'd go back to stock jetting and watch your mileage (and performance) get better.

Thanks for the help. I will pull the carbs off today and take another look. I think the pilot may be rich because on warm days it sounds like it is loading up at slow speeds and the plugs are really dark. The sled is stock and I would like to go to the stock jetting with maybe one size smaller mains because we have warmer temps now. Any suggestions on the best way to get the needle out to check the clip position and also adjust the fuel screw? I know it is an 01 so if someone can confirm the jetting stock specs it would really help. Thanks again guys I love this sled and I know it can improve with a little help from the ty riders. Great board!

Well I just found the jetting specs on the tech page, great info. I will go with that and let you know how it works out.

O.K. I dropped the clip one notch to the second fron the bottom, put 37.5 pilot jet and mains 147.5,147.5,148.8. The plugs are a nice color now and sleds runs goods but I have a problem with the secondary clutch or maybe just the belt. It is not backshifting properly. It actually was spinning on the belt and sled would not move after stopping a couple of times. Changed the belt and it was better but was still pretty loose. I don't know if the clutch is binding or I just need as new belt.

Confused

Maybe I missed something but I'm wondering why you went so small on the pilots and, unless I misinterpreted what you said about your needles, you actually raised them 1 clip position "dropped the clip one notch to second from the bottom" which would richen out the midrange. Raising your needles will not help mileage and SRXs certainly don't need to be any richer in the midrange. I actually dropped my needles 1 clip position from the middle (#2 position) on my 2000 SRX with stock 2000 SRX jetting and ran balls out at -15F. If I were you I'd either go w/ 2001 specs or throw 42.5 pilots in there and split the difference between 2000 & 2001 main specs to be conservative. Sounds like the root cause of your poor mileage may actually be your secondary though. I'd take it apart and check for worn bushings/buttons. You must have some excessive binding going on to get the belt stuck down there or else you don't have enough wrap on your secondary spring. I'd put my money on dirty/worn secondary bushings. Let us know what you find out.

I thought dropping the clip and raising the needle would lean the mid and because the plugs were so black I dropped the pilot one size as well. The plugs look a lot better now,nice tan color, and sled works well, but I think you are right about the secondary, Yamadogger,I had a similar problem with my V max and new bushings in the sec made a world of difference. I'll let you know when I get at that clutch because we are planning one more trip to northern Ont. for next weekend.

Needle

You're backwards on the needle. Dropping the clip (raising the needle) makes you richer in the mid. I'd put it back in the middle and go with a 40 pilot.

If im reading your set up right,you still have the large main jet on the wrong side,it should be on the clutch side.

I run all 152's with a cold air kit. Is this a bad thing to do? It runs good now.

:?:

When I had my Cold Air kit and gutted airbox on my 99 SRX, the jetting that Bender recommended was 150 150 152.2 and that was a bit rich. I have since blocked off the Cold Air kit, put the airbox back to stock and went to 148.8 148.8 150 jetting. This jetting is a little rich yet also, but this allows me to ride at -20F with no problems. I could probably get by with 147.5s, but I'd rather be on the safe side, and there would be little or no power difference.

Today I want to try a few things with the clutch. I checked the bushings and buttons and they are worn a little bit but I am not sure how much play there should be when checking with the springs apart. The other belt I tried got loose in the sheaves after a good run so going to add a washer to the back and wrap the spring a liitle more.In the meantime ordering bushings and spring for next weekend going up north and plan to put on a lot of miles. The trails are done here in central Ont. but the lake is still ok if you are careful, 4in of new snow last night.How do you post pics on your thread because I have digital camera to share pictures?

Secondary

Until the new parts arrive, a good cleaning of your secondary may get you back in business. Get some Brakleen from Napa and clean everything on your secondary. Make sure to take a rag and get the inside surfaces of your two bushings. They will get a black residue on them and brakleen and some elbow grease will take it off. Same goes for the shafts the bushings ride on. I also usually take some steel wool or a scotchbrite bad and do the sliding surfaces of the helix as well. BTW - is your clutching stock? If memory serves me, the stock secondary spring on an SRX is red (black spring w/ red mark). What was the wrap on your secondary spring? I believe for a stock SRX the secondary should be at 6-1 or 6-2 (70% or 80%). Give that a shot and let us know what happens. Where are you at now with your jetting?

Well it was so nice yesterday that I decided to go for a ride on the wife's 98 srx 700, but I need to put mine back together because she wants to go out for a ride today also. The clutch on the 01 is stock and I brought it to the dealer and ordered the sheave bushing and a new red spring. I will put a new belt on as well. I am changing the needle back to the middle position and staying with the 37.5 pilot for now. When I get the parts will do a good cleaning on the secondary, but for now putting in new buttons and added a washer to tighten belt and leave the spring at 80 wrap where it was. Would like to post some pics if I can figure out how.

Got my parts for secondary clutch today, just bushings and spring. It is still not perfect but I hate to sound like I am trying to make a rocket ship out of this thing, just want to have it working the best it can. Everything is fine down low and in the middle as far as the rpm goes but on top end it drops to about 8100 rpm. Mind you the sled is going 180 kph on the speedo but the conditions here on the ice are perfect. What if it ran 8400 on top end like it should? Maybe the track is a little tight or the belt should be replaced but I tried three different ones. Will change the sliders today and make sure the track is tension good and see how it does on our trip this weekend. Will check gas mileage against buddy's warrior and bro's XC as we plan to put on about 500 miles. Thanks again, will keep you updated.

Back