srx hard on fuel

Top Speed

A buddy I ride with has a 2001 SRX just like yours w/ Canadian speedo. He easily pegs the dream-o-meter at 200 kph on fairly good snow conditions. On ice or ideal hardpack he goes past 200 by a fair amount. My stock 2000 SRX would go past 120 mph on the speedo fairly easily. You should see similar results. I had a similar top end rpm dip with my SRX. Did it right out of the box when I bought it new. Turned out to be clutch alignment. I would recommend checking your clutch center to center and alignment and also may want to get e new primary spring. If your clutches are worn enough to need new bushings it's probably time for a new primary spring as well.

Just got back from our trip up north, 420 miles, North Bay, Shining Tree, Sudbury and back, two days. Excellent trails and fast running. Still having trouble with the secondary on my srx, though. Got the new bushing on the sliding sheave side(helix was o.k.) and a spring and buttons, new plugs and caps, cleaned power valves and waxed the hood! This thing is still not backshifting properly, had the clutch off three times on our ride to try to get it to work, even put some grease on the shaft out of desperation and that helped temporarally. We talked a dealer into letting me try another secondary off a machine in the showroom and sled worked perfect with that one. He would not part with it,though, tried to make a swap! Anyway there must be a high spot on the new bushing when it was pushed in or defective, I could barely manage to push the clutch open to take off the belt at one point. And the fuel mileage was crap of course, didn't know if it would make it to the next gas station all weekend. I put in 10 bucks more than my bros xc 700 at one stop! Oh well I am sure we will sort it out somehow, just running out of winter here to try more testing. Going to mic the hole and the bushing something is causing it to bind, anymore feedback would be great, it is going to be a long summer!

I think we sorted out the clutch trouble. I am not sure why, but we repositioned the bushing in the sheave as is measured up fine and polished the ramps on the helix as well as cleaned up everything. Wow does thing thing ever rock out on the lake now! I seen 195kph on the speedo at 8500rpm, fastest it have ever done and backshifts as well! I am happy now with it, can put her to bed for the summer and not worry about it anymore, Thanks for all your help.

Sleeve Locker

Glad to hear you got it dialed in. It's amazing how your secondary affects performance. I little binding or friction in any part will cause major problems. I pull mine apart every couple rides and clean everything up. Just a word of caution about the bushing you said you "repositioned". If you haven't already done so you may want to use some green loctite (made for bushings). The first time I rebuilt my secondary I pressed in the bushing, went about 5 miles to test it out and weird things started happening. Turns out the bushing slid out the back side of the secondary and ground the seal off the jackshaft bearing and then took out the bearing itself. Luckily no damage to the secondary. Every bushing since then I've used green bushing locktite and no problems since. May be a little anal but sure saves headaches down the road.

Back