2002 sx viper shocks

sx600

Can any 2002 owners describe the ride with the stock shock set-up for me. I am buying a brand new 2002 on Sat - and have been reading up a lot about these shocks on this year viper.

I know they are supposed to be very stiff. Yamaha also offered a replacement shock program - from what I can tell, that is ended - and it seems that people didn't like those either, because they were then to soft.

I'm wondering if I should get them re-valved prior to this season (with 0 miles on the stock shocks - and also without knowing how the stock sled rides).

I have the stock valved viper shocks on my '99 sx and love the way they ride. I've heard alot about how stiff everybody claimed they were, but I've felt very comfortable with my setup and I don't bottom out anymore either like I did with lighter valved sxr shocks. My size may also be a factor, though, with weighing around the 200lbs. mark and being 6'.

That's kind of what I figured. I've heard of people being plenty happy with them stock. I'm 6'3" and weigh around 190 - so I wouldn't expect much difference than your ride.

There is a local shop here in MN (right next to the haydays...) that will rebuild all 4 shocks for $280 (maxximum perf. wants $350 plus shipping each way).

I might just wait and see what happens stock. The problem with that is that if I ride it the first time and hate it - I will be waiting a while to get the shocks re-done during riding season.

That is the one draw back to working with shocks unless you can service them yourself. I've talked to people that liked them after being revalved and I know others that had them redone, hated the new setting, and traded their shocks at a local dealer for a set of replaced original shocks. I hope they work for ya which ever way you decide to go.

Wildman,
I have a 98 700 sx that I was going to put a set of 4 stock viper shocks on. I've got them and I want to know what else you needed to do to the setup. I know I need longer radius rods, limiter straps, and 10mm washer on transfer rods. Anything else? Is that ride stiff or smooth? I weigh in at 245 and 6'5". I was thinking of revalving with Pioneer but might try them as stock if others have been happy with the setup. Thanks.

The stock shocks ride like your on a board... If the revalved shocks didn't come around I was going to have to replace mine with something.. The replacement shocks are good.. I have over 4,000 miles on mine and they ride way better than stock ones.

Viper Shocks

I replaced the original bag shocks under my 600 XT with Viper shocks and what a difference that made. The Viper shocks work great, no more bottoming out and ride is great. Now I am 6'3" and weigh over 300 lbs with my gear on. I am no doubt working them pretty good but they seem to be holding out just fine and are a big improvement over the stock bag shocks. I am installing Viper shocks in my SXr this year also. Shoule be a big improvement over those too. Seems the light guys suffer the most from the stiff shocks. Us fat guys make them work and like it. :WayCool:

good info - thanks guys.

I was told that an aggressive rider (like myself) might not have an issue with the stock shocks due to the increased handling ability.

When they are softened up (too much) they handle the bumps much better at a cost of cornering stabililty.

We'll see - I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I just picked this up last weekend (brand new). I've also got a ripsaw track I have to figure out how to put on.

dhess,

If I remember correctly, you may also need the longer steering rods and check the upper shock mounts on the front of the sled. I cann't remeber if the mounts will except the viper shocks or if you need an adapter. When I did mine, I found that the best deal on the radius rods was through Bender with their chromoly rods.

I found the ride to be very comfortable, especially after a couple miles when you start to get some shock fade. Pioneer will set your shocks up for you and your style of riding very well if you decide on that route as well.

The big thing to remember is that the viper was made to run the bumps hard for exended periods of time. When you do that, you get shock fade and with lighter valved shocks, you'll get some bottoming out. Most complaints I've seen are from those that don't ride very aggressive or are below 200 pounds. Good luck with your project.

hmm my bro aint having a prob with his stock shoks. hes 5' 8" and weighs 145lb on a fat day lol. of course it also helps that he came off of my dadas 1979 et250 or my other brothers 1978 et340. hell we thought independant front suspension was for sissies and i resisted buyin a sled till the others started pissin me off (a doo and pull my a$$). my other sled is 1997 enticer II whitch was the 1st independant in the household. its gettin a sxr rear skid so it gets long traveled this year :D :rockon: :rockon:

I had a 2002 Viper which I traded this spring for an 05 Vector.

I am 6'-0" and weigh about 180.

My first few rides on the Viper were with the original shocks. I found the sled rode very stiff, especially through the stutter bumps. Yes it could take the big hits well, but where I ride we don't have many big bumps. Stutter bump compliance was more important and this seld did not do well in those conditions.

I replaced the stock shocks with the softer ones through the Yamaha exchange program. This made a huge difference. Stutter bump compliance was good and I rarely bottomed out (only after hard landings after air time).

I did 12 000 km's with this setup and it worked well.

I consider the rear heat exchanger to be a must add to this sled.

I was very happy with my Viper, you will enjoy this sled. Nothing corners like a Viper.

Great - thanks for the info! I will probably opt to have mine re-valved rather than replaced (Yamaha is still offering the replacement - but I don't want to go that soft). I can get them re-valved to my exact riding style and weight for $280 (all 4 shocks done).

I've been debating about the rear heat exchanger. What's the problem with the stock set-up? I have a full warranty with this one - thus I think I'm going to leave it off for this season and see what happens.

hope you like hot feet then. or ride in lots of powder. ;)! my srr 500 is gettin too hot fer my feet so im putting on srx rear heat exchanger. i hate sweaty feet.

:flag: Go with the heat exchanger it will be a much beter ride. I have to say either get that thing revalved or update those shocks because its a washboard without them thru stutters,I can only speak formyself on this one and weigh 180 maybe 240 would do alittle better. Where I live shocks are fine but go up in a high traffic area and they are junk.

The local dealer just told me that the shock package is still available, so I will be buying the upgrade for $189.

They are not sure if the labor to swap the shocks out is still covered by yamaha - they are looking into that for me. But either way, I will have the new shocks on before the start of the season.

SX600,

Some of us had issues with the 02 Viper overheating. My idiot light only came on once but I would spit coolent out the overflow after riding in hardpack or marginal snow conditions. Some owners had more severe issues.

There was a whole bunch of discussion on this topic in the past, you might be able to find it via a search if the old posts were moved over to this new system.

I added the exchanger to eliminate this coolent loss and for peace of mind. Once I put the rear exchanger on the problem went away.

If you do add the exchanger and you are studded, be sure to add the exchanger protectors. :o|

Thanks for the info - I'm going to wait and see what happens with this sled. I've seen a lot of people that put the rear exchanger on and a lot of people (including the service mgr. at my dealer) say they shouldn't be necessary.

I'll just wait and see - if I have problems I'll know how to fix it now.

The sled actually comes with the tunnel and front heat exchangers on it stock - I will be taking both off though to fit my new 1 1/4 ripsaw (and won't ever be studding it)...

Back