2002 sx viper shocks

My light has only came on once while riding thru Houghton on bare dirt.
still stock! last year installed 136 x 1-1/2 love it but never rode it in poor conditions yet!
.SNAKEBIT..

sx600 said:
The local dealer just told me that the shock package is still available, so I will be buying the upgrade for $189

Can you confirm if the upgrade is still available? I checked at my dealer in Canada and he told me that it wasn't, I'm 230lbs and would like to get the upgrade. I have a couple of seasons on my 02 and it's rough.

I talked with a Yamaha cust. service lady that checked on this for me. She said indeed that the package is still available - for a limited time only as supplies last (meaning there is no end date - only a certain amt. of packages available, when there gone - there gone).

She gave me her number and told me to have the dealer call her if there are any problems at the dealer. FYI - I also asked several dealers in town here and they said "I don't think that's still available". Well - who cares what you think - find out for me! I took the initiative myself and got this lady from Yamaha to tell me they were still available.

My dealer said he replaced a set last season that they did not get reimbursed from yamaha for the service labor. He said he would call her and find out if they could do mine for me with the labor included. If not, I could just buy the shock package and do it myself (not a problem).

SX600,

That's exactly what my dealer told me, I don't think that they are still available. Although I'm in Canada and it may be different here.

I tried to contact Yamaha Canada today without any luck. There are no phone numbers for customer service and they don't have an email address. I tried emailing their employment email address and asked them to redirect the message.

As far as the installation goes I'd prefer doing it myslef. I may check with a US Dealer and see if they can sell me the kit, but I think it will be sold based on your VIN. So I bet that I am out of luck for a Canadian sled.

I found a phone number for Yamaha's head office in Canada, so I will probably try that.

Thanks for the info!

good luck - I could give you the number of the rep I talked to, maybe she could re-direct you. I will PM you that now...

I spoke to Yamaha Customer Service in Canada and they told me that they are still available. They told me to go into the dealer and give them my VIN number and tell them to contact the DSSG (service rep).

Canuck

I bought a set of new revalved viper shocks in April off ebay from Don George Motorsports in New York for 335.00 us, maybe give them a call as they are a Yami dealer.

Help! are you guys sure about these yamaha replacement shocks? Seems most people I've talked to really like them. I just put the new ones on my '02 viper and they seem really really really soft! It seems like I can bottom out the rear suspension just by pushing on the rear bumper with my knee. The front is really soft too.

Did anybody ajust the springs to compensate - if so, how much?

Keep in mind this is a new sled I haven't even rode yet - so I'm going by what people here say (meaning I don't know how it would have rode with the stock stiff shocks in it - but it seems way to soft now).

Any advice?????

ride it before you judge those shocks its all in the reaction speed of the shock....they will feel soft....how much do you wieght???

180 - about 205 all geared up. I'm just worried it will be too soft now and bottom out all the time. It is a huge difference from the stock stiff shocks (which of course I never rode on...).

You will be fine, if nothing else I would add about 1/4 to 3/8 more preload in the front skis and turn the full rate adjuster to the top.....but I would try it and give us a report , we can fine tune it from there but I think you will be surprized....the sled should use all of its travel or why bother....the old shocks would not run the full stroke.

so you would leave the center and rear shocks alone and only adjust up the front shocks? I was also under the impression that you wanted the full rate adjuster in the bottom position for a firmer ride??

Thanks for all the help... I would rather be doing this now than when it's 10 below and snowing!

What would you suggest then for the front, center, and rear shocks? How much should/can I crank up the springs?

I've set the limiter straps at 3/8" of bolt showing as I've heard a good setting is 1/4-3/8".

I was lucky with my vmax sx. I bought it used with ohlins on it - and it rode so nice I never touched it (other than adjusting the transfer rods occassionally).

I've never played around with the springs and limiter straps though...

I am sure the rear spring is fine but the center spring I would , take all the preload off the spring, set you limiter straps, then tighten your spring untill all the free play is out and then give it 2 or 3 extra turns more and leave it....if you want best results on the limiter, as you lower the sled by the rear bumper pull the limiters until the front of the skid just hits so the back wheel are just barely off the ground.....you will gain the best speed and least amount of hyfax wear...that make sense???

I think I've got you - I'm going to set it at:
1/4" limiter straps (or I will try as you suggest with pulling the straps and leaving the rear wheels slightly off the track), full rate adjuster on the bottom (firmest) setting, and tighten the center spring as much as possible. Is that it? Anything on the front shocks?

I would still like to hear from some guys that have the replacement shocks. Is everybody happy with them - and what if anything did you change in the set-up (front, rear, center, limiter straps, full rate adjuster).

Thanks!

for the limiters thats the rear wheel and track slightly off the ground, most likely about 1 1/2 theads showing above the nut....

Back