Old Iron Refresher

chadg

VIP Member
Nothin big just thought I would post my plans for the ole 97 xtc twin. Started out with removing all the decals, thank you Goo-Bgone for not ruining the paint. Got all four shocks revalved for my riding style by Pioneer Performance and new center spring, just waitin on bushings for the center shock to come in so I can put the shocks in. Got the tunnel extension (Tracks USA) and Hartman rail and Hyfax extensions (136") from Boomer on this site. Great guy to deal with, FAST PROMPT AND HONEST. I paid 75.00 bucks to have the tunnel extension painted as you can see in the photos, Thought the price was a bit high but O'well. He did a good job as you can see in the reflections. Think I have my mind set on the Ice Ripper. Clutching, New pistons and rings (Recall). Thin head gasket mod. And just some small engine work done by (hopefully Mrviper700). Well that is it for now. Lookin to really get things rollin second week of September I will keep ya posted as she gets done

Chadg

Attachments

• Picture 012 (Small).jpg
    Picture 012 (Small).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Picture 018 (Small).jpg
    Picture 018 (Small).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture 020 (Small).jpg
    Picture 020 (Small).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 027 (Small).jpg
    Picture 027 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 20

Hey Chad I have some powermadd red handguards with mounts that would match that sled.

That sled looks sweet in all black without the decals. I am glad to see that I am not the only one undertaking a major rebuild this summer. Good luck and keep us posted. G.B.

Thanks GoneBlue It will be fun I am not sure wether to make all black or black and red. hmmm I willl keep ya posted thanks again.

Chadg

she looks like shes off to a good start bro'! lookin' good! :bling: Hey, you ever wonder why people always refer to a sled as "she"? its because a sled and a woman are very much alike!!!! how many times on a cold morning when you really need it ..... she won't turn over! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
later! lol......

LMAO LMAO ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Mark

Hey pro I mayhave to take you up on the handguards I am also lookin to get some hooks for the handle bar ends.

Last edited:
sleddheadd said:
she looks like shes off to a good start bro'! lookin' good! :bling: Hey, you ever wonder why people always refer to a sled as "she"? its because a sled and a woman are very much alike!!!! how many times on a cold morning when you really need it ..... she won't turn over! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
later! lol......

LMFAO thats funny :rofl:

Chad, checkout my avatar. Thyat's MY 97 600 XTC, all blacked out, with red grill inserts. Still have it in the storage unit. My son rode it til last yr. Good reliable sled. When setup right, will handle and ride like a dream. Proper clutching and a thinner headgasket and it'll run pretty good too. Just watch your oil consumption. If it gets real high, it's time for a pump LOL!! Enjoy your ride.

Dave

Sweet Dave!! On the Demo ride you helped me out with the front shocks. Even after that it rode a little better. The funny thing is, is that Bruce from pioneer said the fronts and the center shock were destroyed. I didnt know any better I thought the sled rode ok, TO ME LOL. Now it should ride a whole lot better. But we have to remember it is a proaction. Yup went throu the oil pump deal last year remember. When we were at the Give away ride and Tom called my ticket number everyone was yelling take the oil take the oil. LOL. Think I may go with black and Red, just got the new skid plate which is red and yada yada yada. I am puting to much $$$$$ into it already to completely blacck it out. We will see. One step at a time.

Chadg

My son INSISTED on a LOW red shield. Had a Cobra black smoke on it when I rode it. Looked good either way BUT, that low one was WAY cold to ride with. The Cobra has a better design than the stock shield. Keeps a lot of the wind off your hands. The only negatives about that sled is fuel and oil consumption. Never saw more than 10.5 mpg and 100 miles on a quart of oil. DEFINITELY change those pistons and rings. Only time I was ever broke down . Took out a jug at the same time. Dealer down here got EVERYTHING covered under warranty. 2 jugs, pistons, rings, gaskets and all labor. I was 3 months out of warranty when it happend. Had about 3,500 miles whne it happened. Enjoy your sled !!

Thought i would post a few more pics, one is with the Fett brothers running boards. It really cleaned up good as you can see. I used Nu-finish scratch remover, and then waxed it with Zymol.

Attachments

• Picture 030 (Small).jpg
    Picture 030 (Small).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 031 (Small).jpg
    Picture 031 (Small).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 032 (Small).jpg
    Picture 032 (Small).jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Picture 033 (Small).jpg
    Picture 033 (Small).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture 034 (Small).jpg
    Picture 034 (Small).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 7
i don't even know why you are wasting your time cleaning that thing!!! you know as soon as rich can he's going to lead you right in to the middle of a thick forest and tree branches and bushes and everything else will be bouncing off of that clean hood!! lol....... :rofl:
really tho'..... it does look sweet! nice job bro'! when is the 136" going on?

LMAO you know that is what will happen lol. Good ole Rich. Its just somethin to do I guess. The 136 will be goin in after the second week in September. I have already ordered the track, it should be here soon.(1.25 Ice Ripper) I need to self medicate in Vegas for a week before anything gets done here. LOL. I will post an after pic when it is complete.

Chadg

do you have a 136 suspension? if not i have one off of my warrior. it is a pro action but it is like new! only has 1 trip on it then the guy bought an m-10 for it, he says he has a very bad back and that is why he just sold the sled and got out of the sport, but the suspension is new.....if your interested let me know. i definitely will not kill you on the price! when is vegas? i need to get back there soon,also! been a few years! have a good time there !

Where did you get the track from?
I will be converting a '97 SX into a part time 2-up and may stretch to a 136". I did my '00 Vmax last year and love it.
Power will be coming from a '97 twin out of an XTC and miscellanous other parts have come from guys here. I got the chassis at the end of the season last year.
Hoping to stay low dollar and end up with an "extra" sled for the weekends with the kid and grandpa.

Did you repaint the tunnel or was it that clean to start with, looks good in the pics?

Last edited:
Vmax Al---- I got the track from RichieRich. Seems like you have a good plan for the sx. You will have to keep me posted. To get the tunnel to look like that was alot of work. LOTS OF ELBOW GREASE and BEER. LOL. I first used Nu-finish scratch remover, and then polished it again with a product called Zymol. Zymol is some unreal stuff. It has a ton of natural ingrediant's so it say's. I payed 16.00 for a bottle of it. The price was well worth it. Good luck with your project. Thanks for the complement bud.

Dave vmax600- I will look into that, it probly would look alot better but WOW this takes some money to do.

Sleadheadd- I am straight on the skid, if I change my mind I will for sure get a hold of ya. Good ole Vegas will be the last week of August. Stayin at the MGM Grand. Takin the wifey for the good ole anniversary. I will take some pics of some crazy stuff if it happens. LOL. You know, What happens their stays their LOL.

Ok I have decided to take it to the next level for fun. I am going to add 8 tooth extroverts. Two inch paddle track, and CB performance drop brackets, 4.5 inch rox pivot risor, boss seat. New bushings. and some other small things down the line. Here are some under construction pics. The drop brackets were a little tricky. I just took my time and made sure all the measurments were exact on both sides. I also made a template for the drilling of the drop brackets rivet holes. Stock measurements were 11.5 from center to front. So I had to drop the center 1.5 but keeping the stock distance between these two holes, which is 11.5. The new holes had to be moved over just a touch to keep the 11.5 measurment . After measuring everything out I drilled the first hole (center) with a small bit rite on my mark so it would be accurate. I then drilled holes with required size bit. I then remeasured and it was dead nuts. Wow piece of cake, as long as you take your time and dont rush. ENJOY

Attachments

• Picture 351 (Small).jpg
    Picture 351 (Small).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 352 (Small).jpg
    Picture 352 (Small).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 354 (Small).jpg
    Picture 354 (Small).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 353 (Small).jpg
    Picture 353 (Small).jpg