Limiter Strap settings for mountain riding

Mudrunner

Hey guys- I'm relatively new to snowmobiling but after last years experience, I am hooked!! I picked up a 97 mm700 and have spent the summer tweakin it for the new season. My question is where to set my shocks and limiter straps to best suit me in the mountains. I mainly ride Mt Baker and spend 90% of the time boondocking in the powder and hill climbing. I'm a fairly large guy at 250lbs and 6' tall. I would really appreciate your input. ;)!
AJ

Straps all the way out, keep the front end light (lots of preload on the centre shock, less on the back)

Thanks Guys-

I slacked them all the way and set my upper shock preload high and the back shock preload low. I'm dying to try it out. I can see fresh snow on Baker this morning. :WayCool:

Where do you recommend the front spring preload to be?

well I have different opinion on this one. by letting your straps all the way out you maximize weight transfer, this does lighten your front end, but causes a great deal of trenching on your sled. Your approach angle or angle of attack as your track meets the snow is also going to be steeper thus making it more difficult to get up ontop of the snow when you launch.

This is what i did to try and get the best of both worlds. Upgrade to a 151, ditch the 141, suck my straps all the way in, loosest setting on front shocks (I upgraded to long travel shocks off an SXR), the longer shocks lifted the nose of the sled bout 3", in the skid I dropped the FRA (full rate adjuster) to the bottom (softest setting) and middle preload on the center and rear shock.

Works for me, 6' 200lbs, aggressive riding, mostly hillclimb and powder playin when i can find the fresh stuff.

You need to ride it first, learn what each change to your rear skid will do for you cuz there are lots of options.

Thanks for the responses. I realize more than ever that I am still a newbie.

Does anyone feel like taking the time to explain the functions of the the rear suspension system to me? Maybe explain how each spring works and what effect it has on the sled. What are the full rate adjusters? Will a 151 upgrade kit change the angle of attack of the track to the snow? Who's kit is recommended?

Thanks in Advance.

I don't know how long a stock 97 MM is mine is 2001 and came stock 141. I do know that on your machine the approach angle is not the same as 2000+ models. You can get a kit that will not only provide you with everything to go to the 151 but also improve the approach angle to that of 2000+ models, there is a big difference.

I recommend MPI (mountain performance inc) or Hartman Inc, they both have good products and kits that will get you what you want.

As for the Pro Action Rear Skid info, go to the tech pages and look under the chassis info section and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about the rear suspension and what does what.

Good Luck

InTooDeep-

Thanks for the informative response. I'll be checking out those links for an upgrade kit.
I believe my stock track is a 136 x 1.5 x 15 so an upgrade to 151 should be huge.

Mud runner, I prefer settings like Intoodeep myself... Your body weight should allow you to toss the sled around with the straps sucked up no problem.

I picked up a 97 mm700
On that sled you want to suck your front limiters all the way up with the spring set on full soft. Set your rear spring firm. Rough trails will suck but deep snow performance will be alot better. You need to replace the steel skiis with some good aftermarkets that will float in powder. MODS, Simmons or Powder Pros will do that for you. You definetly need to change that track to a larger/longer one, minimum 151. If it doesn't have pipes you need them as well. There are some cheap mods to do in the tech area that will make impovements as well. Thats all for now..........SRXtreme

SRXtreme said:
. You need to replace the steel skiis with some good aftermarkets that will float in powder. MODS, Simmons or Powder Pros will do that for you...........SRXtreme

I bought a set up black A/C parobolic skis off a 2002 or 2003. Haven't tried them out yet, but should be great. Sold my stock plastic skis off my 2000SXr for the exact price so it cost me nothing. Only mod to fit them is putting a small rubber shim under the stock yamaha shim and drilling the "bushing" in the spindle to fit the wider A/C bolt. Fits perfect looks good and should work great.

-Jon

Ohlins' web site on suspension tuning:

"A long limiter strap will decrease ski pressure and increase traction for better handling in deep snow and on ice. And, you might loose steering response completely if the strap is too long!"

Unless you want to spend a lot of money playing with approach angles and replacing suspension parts, ...keep the skis light and to avoid excessive trenching, ...use a less aggressive clutch setup. I think moderation is important here, any changes made to limiter straps or suspension dynamics should occur in small increments when finding your best fit. I'm running a 136" skid with 2" paddles, limiter straps out, center shock preloaded, rear less and a fairly conservative primary setup and gearing, ...no problems in the deep stuff. (my 2 cents canadian).

srx_eh Have you ever looked at the attack angle on the pre 00' MM's? I have been riding and modding them from when they 1st came out so please do not question what I say. BTW what does Ohlin know about mountain riding? .........SRXtreme

edit......
...no problems in the deep stuff.
I would like to see what you classify as deep stuff. The stock pre 00' MM's were just plain brutal for deep snow performance PERIOD. Maybe you need to come ride with my family someday. I will show you deep stuff but you might want to bring more than your stock SRX as the smallest sled in my family is my 9 year old sons 00' 600mm with pipes porting, 151 track and on and on. Call me sometime we can ride some steep and deep.

Last edited:
Not questioning you one bit (no quotes), ...just an opinion, ...which we're all entitled to.

edit:

...would be delighted to hook up for some "steep and deep", ...thanks for the offer. But it sounds like i'm going to need some better equipment.

Last edited:
Not questioning you one bit (no quotes), ...just an opinion, ...which we're all entitled to.

I mainly ride Mt Baker and spend 90% of the time boondocking in the powder and hill climbing. I'm a fairly large guy at 250lbs and 6' tall

He is asking for people with experience in powder and hillclimbing from your posts I do not think your suggestions qualify. The man is also a big boy the sled is going to need all the help it can get. Being from Calgary and all I would be under the assumption that you ride Cataract, ect. By all means come along for a ride you must remember my two boys especially the 9yr old only got his sled last season. If your an aggressive rider you shouldn't have much problems going where we go, just might have to take the longer way to get to the top. Another group of friends I ride with thier daughter is on a stock 99 600 Summit so we have to accomodate them..........SRXtreme

i have a 2001 mmax riding at 10,000 feet. first of all if you still have your swat arm in place cut it out in two pieces because you don't need it for hill climbing second the near the rear idler wheels on my 2001 i cut out the piston stops that prevent you rear suspension from collapsing all the way down . then you need to crank you limiter strap all the way forward to give as much ski pressure as you can because you are going to need it. the 3 cylinder now rides like a twin perfect for hill climbing.

Back