Dead cylinder, losing hair fast!

jvizzacc

Dead cylinder, losing hair fast! - Problem Solved but lots of good info!

I appreciate anyone's help on this ...

Scenario ...

'98 SRX700, 5K miles

Cylinder #2 stopped firing last year. Was getting spark. Figured no gas. Just pulled all carbs and cleaned and synced. Looks and smells good, but ... #2 still not firing. Verified spark. Totally frustrated.

Please help ...

THanks!!!!!

Jim

Last edited:

Update

Cylinder has plenty of compression. Plug is new and wet while in cylinder. Remove plug, place on head, pull engine, BLUE SPARK!

Like ... This is driving me crazy.

Thanks,

Jim

Leakdown test? I suspect if the cyl is low on compression that it would FIRE, just not very well. It ain't firin' atall.

Jim

Jeez, sorry, don't remember. It was as good as the other two if I remember right ... like maybe 120? 160? sound right? It was last year. All cyl were within 10 lbs of each other.

THanks

The only things I haven't checked are the reeds and the power valves. I figured they would contribute to POOR combustion, but not NO combustion.

THanks everyone!

Jim

Fuel is from last year .. yes it's old. But the other cylinders are running fine on it. Ran engine for 10 minutes. Pipe didn't even get warm.

Yes, completely cleane d the carbs, all jets, etc.

Pulled power valve from #2. It's dirty, black, etc. Gas fumes rolled out of the port area. It's getting gas! Verified spark. Blue! ????

I'm no stranger to engines but new to sleds and Yamahas. My understanding is that the reeds better control intake while the power valves control exhaust, keeping the combustion in the cyl for as long as possible for maximum power. If I'm wrong, please straighten me out!

Jim

I would pull the plugs, turn it over a few hundred times....let it dry out...so its not flooded on that cylinder, get that old gas out, pop in a new, gas, plugs and give her a rip. Make sure to check that pilot....

If you have fuel spark and compression it will fire unless that fuel is just that bad.

Gents, I'd buy everything you're saying ... except.. #1 and #3 are perfectly happy with what they have. Also, this problem has not changed one bit. It didn't fire before I cleaned the carbs, and it doesn't fire AFTER I cleaned the carbs. This leads me to believe that it is NOT the carbs or the gas.

Ya know, one stupid thing just struck me ... that's the same damn plug that's been in there. What's the chance that an NGK plug is DOA? Ever heard of that?

yes....I have had a few or the plug fouls instantly and you think it was DOA...I have a little trick for you....take a torch and heat the tip of a the new plug (Electrode) until its red hot....put it in that dead cylinder and give it a yank.....:)

That's an old trick! But I haven't tried it yet. I'll also try a different plug.

But, you haven't answered my questions about the power valves and the reeds. Is there a chance that they may be contributing to the problem?

Thanks

I stuck power valve is not going to stop it from starting but a missing reed pedal might...try the old trick....on the new plug...before you dig into the reeds....but if it fires dont get on the gas to quick or the choke.

The reason I am saying this is I had a 99 srx, that would not run on one cylinder...no matter what I did, it looked wet , it had spark but nothing. I changed the plugs after drying it out, Took a cap full of fresh gas, dumped it in that cylinder and pow she fired...it was like that clyinder would not take the fuel I had to prime it. Once it fired then it worked fine....strange hmmm

Whatever it takes! Strange, wierd, uncommon, or immoral, I care not as long as it solves the problem.

OK. I'll try that tomorrow evening after work and let you know.

PS: This is actually about my buddy's sled that's in my garage. Mine is an '01 SRX 700 that runs like the wind. All I've done in 3 years is change the plugs once per season, changed the hyfax, chaincase oil, and antifreeze this year. I LOVE IT!

You can see both of our sleds on your picture forum. "Blew Flew".

Thanks much,

Jim

all it takes is spark a some gas and some compression for that baby to run - maybe the spark is low on that cylinder compared to the others.

Well blow me down!
Sheet with holes in it!
Son of HI-Bachi!

That one plug was DEAD. Switched with another and it fired right up.

Thanks for all your help and ideas!

Maybe I'll see y'all at Novi!

Best,

Jim

Back