Silencer Mod on sx700

Morley

If I drill out the hole in my stock silencer will the sled
run any different, meaning needing to rejet, or clutching
or anything for that matter?

There is no need for clutching with the silencer mod alone.
If you combine the silencer mod with the head gasket mod and reed notch mod/reed spacers, you have the potential for more aggresive clutching.
The sound is a bit higher with the drilled silencer but not disturbing. The mods above will give you a great running sled for almost zero cost.
Check out the tech pages for detailed instructions on how to do the modifications

morley

morley,no jetting is required with the silencer mod and you notice a bit more power it is not much louder than stock about 4 decibels,but if you notch the reed stopper,this mod greatly improves throttle response. but i would check the tech pages.here is what the reed stopper notch is suppose to look like.also i would'nt say for next to nothing if you do all of the 3 mods daniel spoke of clutching is needed at the cost of around 200-250 depending on where you by parts.

also with thease mods you will have over rev.

Attachments

• Dscf0024.jpg
    Dscf0024.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 270
200-250.00 for clutch parts if you do those mods??? Ahh, last time I checked weight rivets where around .15 - 4.00 depending on the ones you buy. You dont HAVE to buy new, weights/spring/helix after doing these mods, you DO have the option of installing heavier rivets. ===SRXSRULE===

well schrxules if you think about it he has a 97 sx i would think the clutch would need a rebuild anyway so thats why i posted the prices for new parts. i am buying new parts for mine for 1 reason i dont buy used parts to rebuild anything,is it really rebuilt or just someone elses worn parts in place of worn out parts. if you can find thease parts new at a lower price well then thats a bonanza

If we leave out the clutch renovation to start with, it works just fine adding new rivets to the 8CH weights until the rpm is correct.
But as Redmater says, if the clutch needs a renovation the cost will be higher. On my -97 I had to change the complete primary due to cracks in both sheaves.
I did not dare running full throttle with a cracked clutch.
And believe me, it was NOT cheap buying those parts.
As I understand, many older Yamahas have cracked clutches.....

I have a 97 sx700, I did the silencer boring and the head gskt mod last year and took it to the UP ran great. Did the reed stopper notch and put on tempa flows this year, just ran it across grass so far but do see a problem with over rev already, Have a clutch kit on order. Would defiantly recomend the kit.

fast sx said:
I have a 97 sx700, I did the silencer boring and the head gskt mod last year and took it to the UP ran great. Did the reed stopper notch and put on tempa flows this year, just ran it across grass so far but do see a problem with over rev already, Have a clutch kit on order. Would defiantly recomend the kit.

How can you recommend a clutch kit to somebody if yours is still on order?

You dont need a complete clutch kit to lower rpm's as srxsrule has already stated. Upping your primary weight with heavier rivets will lower your shift rpm for only a few dollars.

this is true what srx6 has stated but if you want the full benefit of the 3mods to make the sx run real well then ask mr sled for the clutch parts to install it part of the package... if you are just puncing out the silencer then you can just buy the tuning rivets to adjust the rpms to 8350 no more than 8400.

Redmatter.....I need some clutching help. Here is my sled, 02 Mt Max, Bender Pipes, V-force reeds, Mild Porting, Peak perf head with 20cc domes, Cold air kit, and a 30hp shot of N20. I ride at 9,000-12,000ft. Also jetting specs too. Thanks, I know it will be bang on with your set-up in it ;) ===SRXSRULE===

First off..a 30 shot is a little light for your riding style...Try the 45..then ask :)

Morely..those mods really helped liven up my XTC. I did do clutching to go along with it. There is alot of help in that department in the tech pages.

Good idea Dok!.....Ok, how much weight will I have to add when I put in the 45hp nozels? Thanks ===SRXSRULE===

u'll prolly have to add a couple barbels to each ramp, i'm thinkin a multi angle helix, maybe along the lines of 360/120, if not enough, go a little higher with the initial angle, lol

I think there is some company that makes the perfect clutch kit for you SRXSRULE...its $450 and it will put your rpm's in the perfect spot. I was thinking about ordering one and it works really great.

P.S. no matter what mods you do, you will never need to change your stock jetting.

:o|

Rules....boy u sure know how to make new friends....:). If you add more tip weight to the stock weight it may bring the RPMS down but it will truely suck to trail ride....as far as a shot of nos....have you driven it yet rules....talk to Terry NOS Pro, he will tell you it will hit the rev limiter...LOL

If you remember Eric, when gina had her sled (600 triple) at Muni and we where trying to bring her RPMs down from the mods, we added the biggest rivet and it still didnt do anything.....

I have not tried Turks but hear his is 51/43 Helix, stock weights w/4.5g rivet in 1st hole and 3.1g in tip, 2-3 engagement shims, stock springs

But I still favor the 8AB weights in the SX7s...to each his own.

What is the performance difference between between Turks setup and yours. Is Turks setup trail unfriendly and better suited for mountain riding ? I plan on running Turks setup with 8CH weights this winter. I ride groomed trails only in Maine and New Hampshire and weigh about 180 pounds. I am looking for strong acceleration on take off and corners but still trail friendly. I haven't ordered the helix yet but I did just replace the green and W-S-W springs.
Your thoughts?

As I had stated I have never tried his set up so I cant compare them. All I know is the set up is great on the trail feeling zippy and fast hitting the RPMS like a want to see and getting super mileage. What most fail to understand is that there is many ways to clutch a sled and most of these recommend set ups will get your really close but all sleds and riders are different... Lets ask Turk, I am sure he has tried the 8ab and maybe he can shed some light on that. Sorry I am not much help.

Back