SXR Pro Action Install help!

pbspecial

I just installed a new Camoplast Ice Calw track in my 01 700 SXR. I have the rear skid back in except for the upper rear bolts. I started with the front bolts, then the middle and now the last bolts which are for the upper large wheels and the shaft where the large shock mounts at the rear. How do you line up these holes and get the bolts back in? I followed the instructions on the TY tech page ( I have the transfer rods loosened , actually removed) and I still can't get them to line up. Any tricks?

once you get the front and the middle in, you put the transfer rods bolts back in and tighten and that will pull the rear hole back in alignment.

O.K., I'm still having issues with trying to line up these final holes at the back. I put the transfer rod bolts back on (I have Bender TS3's), and it did'nt seem to make much difference when the bolts were tightened. What position should the upper shock be in (hard, med or soft?) Does that make a difference? Any other tricks? Seems like that rear axle needs to move forward about 10mm to line up.

When I did mine last week I started with the front bolts, then the rear bolts, and finally the center bolts. After the front and rear bolts were in I loosened the transfer rods and the center bolts were easy to lineup.

do the front first, then the rear and then the center bolt. Once you get the front and rear in the center you must wrestle with a little. This is a job that it helps to have another person helping you.

is it better to do it with the sled upright and the rear lifted or with it on it's side?

Thanks for the help. I now have it up in the air, and still can't get it to line up. How do you apply pressure to compress the center shock? It seems like that's what's holding it back from lining up. Damn, these last two bolts are going to kill me.....

like I said, It is much easier when you have another person to help you. What we usually do in the situation is we use like a 2 x 4 to get some leverage to push that shock down. This method works well with two people, it is very hard to do this all by yourself.

follow tech section

did mine last night...
rear end lifted...I use block and tackle so its easy to adjust
put in the front bolts, not tight.
get the center shaft close...may need to muscle it a little and get it close as you can, but you shouldn't need to pry it. just get down on the floor and move it around.
back off transfer rod bolts. while watching the center hole. you'll need to lower the sled as you back off the bolts. alternate side so you stay fairly centered. again, you'll need to make small adjustments at a time. it will line up. once it does, loosely turn in the bolts. be sure not to crossthread. once the centers are in, lower until the rears line up. tghten all the bolts, front to rear and tighten the transfer rod bolts. I've always done it by myself...no jokes please...without a pry bar

I follow the direction in the tech section word for word. it works

Last edited:
skid install

The hard part for me was just getting the skid between the track. I found it much easier to do while the sled was on its side. The 6 bolts went in easy??

disconnct the transfer rods (two bolts) it should line right up then.

O.K. Thanks all for the help. I'll be giving it another go in the morning.

PB

O.K., usually I am good with following directions and getting things back together, no problem, but this one is getting to me. I must be doing something wrong. When I follow the Tech page, Front, center and then rear, the rear holes are not even close (they need to move forward toward the front of the sled about 10mm to line up). From how I understand the tech page it sounds like the holes should already be forward and tightening the transfer rods would pull it back. I have the transfer rods loose and tightening doesn't seem to have any affect. Are the bolts everyone is talking about the ones that screw up inside the rod (I have bender TS3's, do they make any difference) or the ones that mount it to the lower part of the skid? It just seems like there is too much pressure to get the holes to line up. I have also tried with the rear bolts in and then trying to get the center, same thing can't get any pressure on that shaft. I feel like a total idiot with these recurring questions, but I must be doing something wrong because it sounds like there's an easier way. UUGH!

I think you need to get us some pictures....you mught have somthing togather wrong....maybe you have the arm flip over on the full rate ...the bolts I am talking about are the ones in the ends of the transfer rods...what sled are the TS3s on??

It's a 2001 SXR 700. I just took some pics, how do i post them. Maybe I do have the shaft for teh full rate flipped. Shoud the little teeth that the adjuster bolt rides on be point towad the back or the front of the sled?

Here's the pics. If that thing is in backwards, I'm going to feel real dumb....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 15
it looks like your really close??? almost looks like you are past ...take a few turns out of rod end bolts to let it line up...thats if I am looking at the pics right...

rear skid

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears your front shock is upside down. This wouldn't make any difference in the bolt holes though.

Back