viper chassis swap with upgrades

bolin22

I have a 02 viper converted to a mountain with 15000 miles and the chassis is wore out. I located a donor chassis from a fellow Ty member and have started my changeover. I have removed the factory running board coolers and am in the process of installing edge coolers off a Polaris with custom snow eliminators from JT panels.com. I am going to drop and roll the chaincase, port the motor,lightweight hood, fabcraft chromeoly radius rod kit, avid drivers, and a few other goodies. looking forward to getting this thing back together as the snow in my yard this morning assures me i better get moving! pics to come

Last edited:

new chassis stripped and edge coolers mocked up.

edgecooler1.jpg

movin along!

got the tunnel extention on last night, edge coolers almost finished up, just a little more tweakin to get the fit i want. avid drivers pressed on the new shaft today. cant wait to ride this thing. :letitsnow

tunnelextention2.jpg

tunnelextention1.jpg

a little bit closer!

showing the chaincase in the jig with the wedge being welded in.

chaincase1.jpg

showing the plug welded in and the new loction for the bearing.

chassis4.jpg

skid plate made for the chaincase and ready for chaincase install.

chassis2.jpg

track installed with chaincase, and jackshaft installed. also got my cooling hoses mocked up for the new coolers.

chassis3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job !!!

Can you post a closeup of the finished chain case with out the cover on it.

Mills said:
What does "rolling" the chain case do for you? I have heard this term many times but I don't understand why it is done.

You roll the chaincase to either get a better track approach or gain more clearance in the front (drive cogs to bulkhead) for a taller lug.

Correct Jude

1. Better Approach Angle.
2. More Clearance For Taller Lug Track Or Larger Drivers
3. Less Buildup Of Snow/ Better Evacuation As The Track Comes Around The Drivers (snow Can Escape)
4. Less Rolling Resistance

2 comments about this post. (1) You sure put the cooler in a crappy place!! Gotta lift the sled every time you want a beer. (2) I want one of these but I would want somebody to install it for me to make sure everything is lined up perfect!!

running board inserts!

update. finally got the running board inserts finished and ready for installation tonight!

as far as making some of these, the time and installation process is very lengthy and would be a bit tricky to design a "kit."
robbies extended chaincase (avid) is by far a better way to go as it is cnc'd from a solid piece of billet and is an easier install. if i was gonna anty up the coin for one i would go with the avid for sure.

thanks for all the comments, i should be working hard in the shop this weekend and hopefully get this thing on the snow soon as i am tired of riding other peoples machines.

boards.jpg

Last edited:

Back