Project 36

SX600abuser

Hey guys, I have done a lot of work already to this sled but I plan to do a lot more so I am going to just throw up stuff in this thread of things I have done.

IMG_3383.jpg

This pic is the first one I took of it, unfortunately it was after I had finished putting it back together. I never documented the assembly of this sled (oops). At this point it is completely stock except for wiseco pistons and handlebar riser.

IMG_3385.jpg

A friend made me this riser and it sports my name.

IMG_3384.jpg

Yep I had yet to source a belt guard at this point!...lol

IMG_3847.jpg

In this picture my GF is riding it and it has the first mod I did to this sled, viper shocks all the way around.

Last edited:

By the end of last year it had a layer removed from the head gasket, notched reeds, some handle bar ends to keep my hand on the hand grips, and surefoot III's on it.

This year I really dug into it.

IMG_7233.jpg

I was really tired of the bumps on trail 8 in munising, so it was either buy a new sled or adapt mine for me. So I went to a swap meet in Northern Illinois and bought a 2001 xc edge suspension. I tore it apart (as pictured), sand blasted and painted the parts. I found some blue boggies at the swap meet in Michigan, maybe haydays?

IMG_7276.jpg

I finished putting the skid together and was really happy how it turned out. I would also like to note that I put big boy springs in it and am very happy with them. I have around 3" of sag but that if perfect for my riding style.

IMG_7277.jpg

This is me getting ready to dump the edge suspension in, it was really easy, I had to drill 4 new holes for mounting and I moved one of the brackets on the inside of the tunnel to better mount the front arm to the tunnel. I also had to add a spacer on both side in the front about 3/16" thick on each side.

Last edited:
Now the rear was a nice looking I decided to freshen up the look of the front end, so I took the trailing arms off and sand blasted them. I had a bent one on the right side, so I straightened it, and took time to straighten the lower radius rod.
IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

This is with the new belly pan I ordered for it, I disliked the orange one that was on it when I bought it.

IMG_7297.jpg

This is with the graphics for the trailing arm on and the new windshield I bought.

Last edited:
I decided to paint the grills on the hood too, as you can see in the last post, I think they look better then rusty...lol.

IMG_7505.jpg

I decided to put a used SLP pipe on it I purchased from MM800. It was a little banged up (as expected) but after a little elbow grease and some new welds, it was ready for action. I also have a link to hear it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsTCu_bj8Yw
For the heck of it I made a vid so you can hear what it did sound like too, here that is...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFxd8Uv0S5M

IMG_7499.jpg

After playing in the yard with it, I finally got fed up with the bog it had from idle to wot so I took the carbs off one more time to add home made fuel screw adjusters. I used the tech section to help me on this one.

IMG_7503.jpg

Here they are installed. I went with a wing nut for easy handling, I LOVE them. They work very well.

I have also taken a lot of time to set the clutches up for me, I put a 51/43 helix in it with some 8AB weights and 90wrap on stock springs, and the thing is a rocket compared to what it was. I put 2.4grams on the inner holes and shaved them down until I ran 8500rpm on the nose. Very happy with the clutching on this sled now.

Last edited:
love it :) and that slp can really has a nice sound to it! looks sharp with the silver front end. I like it all around, nice work

I think I saw you out in Dalton a couple of weeks ago. That sled rocks! I was riding my daughter's '95 Vmax(Red). There was not a lot of snow, and you were the only other sled I saw. That had Me drooling and praying hard for a good tax return. Time for me to upgrade!

lonevmax said:
I think I saw you out in Dalton a couple of weeks ago. That sled rocks! I was riding my daughter's '95 Vmax(Red). There was not a lot of snow, and you were the only other sled I saw. That had Me drooling and praying hard for a good tax return. Time for me to upgrade!

Haha, small world!! I remember you! I was doing some testing and tuning on the clutches.

Upcoming Plans

Big changes this year! Decided to dump some more money into the old girl.

Plan as of right now is to put a 700 top end I have on it. I want to port the 700 cylinders out using race logics templates. The feedback I have seen about these templates is that they work well with stock expansion chamber.

I am also in the middle of fabricating my own high rise seat. After hearing about how poorly the boss seats have seemed to fit up to these sleds, I opted just to build my own.

So what I did thus far is constructed a styrofoam mold of the seat. Then I pretty much cut it in half because the whole seat will not need to be paded so I figured I will make the lower half a storage compartment. I am almost done fiberglassing the lower half of the seat. Once that is done I will upholster the outside of the fiberglass to hide inperfections. The top half will be used to create a mold by fiberglassing the around it, taking the styrofoam out and using a pourable closed cell foam to create the shape of the seat. I will pour about 3 different densities so I can hack them together to get the right amount of cushion in the right areas.

So far it is looking sweet but you guys don't get to see pictures of it until I know if it turns out nice or not!...lol I am about half way done with it, and can't wait to show it to you guys. With the addition of this seat I will be "forced" (hehe) to put about a 6" riser on it with some hand guards.

I found a really good deal on a pair of USI skies with carbides so I threw those on with the OEM saddles for now, we will see how they ride like that. If it darts bad I will probably purchase or make my own saddles.

Thinking hard about mounting up the ole' GPS on the handlebar this year too. We will see, but I will follow up with pictures eventually.

I remember reading on here about if you go with a tall riser on these style of sleds you might have to reinforce the steering column. You might want to search on that topic. Just a heads up for you.

Great looking sled, always fun to see what everybody else works on and how they turn out. Keep up the great work!!

A couple sneak peaks of the seat. Now I am not planning on showing this seat to the world unless YOU GUYS are really pushing me to throw up the pics!!...lol Getting upholstered next week.

Here is basically how I started my styrofoam mold...
IMAG0519.jpg

Here is a side view with the one side pretty much shaped to the way I wanted it.
IMAG0521.jpg

Here is the more finished shape...
IMAG0541.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

Here are two pics of the storage compartment getting glassed...
IMAG0592.jpg

IMAG0593.jpg

If you want more pics of progress then let me know!...lol ;)!

Alright, to date, I have the seat off at the upholsters right now, should be ready to be picked up on friday. I have been working on getting the sled back together as I had updated the axle with the newer version. I have also finished porting the engine and now have it all back together(pics to come). Sounds really nice to hear again. I have also taken off my 02 viper front shocks and had them revalved to 03 specs. It is now back together with the old seat on it so it can be ridden if snow decides to fall. Anyways here are the rest of the pics of how I constructed the seat, enjoy.

half hallowed base
IMAG0594.jpg

Fully Hallowed base
IMAG0596.jpg

Hallowed base with tail light
IMAG0606.jpg

foam base
IMAG0604.jpg

Foam mold
IMAG0602.jpg

Mold ready for pour
IMAG0608.jpg

Foam after pour
IMAG0625.jpg

New lake effect riser
IMAG0701.jpg

Riser and seat
IMAG0699.jpg

Gps Mounted

My Ram mount showed up before my seat was finished so I was working on that this weekend. This is what I ended up with. What do you guys think?

IMAG0786.jpg

IMAG0784.jpg

IMAG0788_1323724898233.jpg

Back