Project 36

SX600abuser said:
My Ram mount showed up before my seat was finished so I was working on that this weekend. This is what I ended up with. What do you guys think?

IMAG0786.jpg

IMAG0784.jpg

IMAG0788_1323724898233.jpg

Very nice on the mount. How do you have it mounted? Just with the ram under the pad? Did you cut up your pad and mod it with velcro? Did somthing similar but i like how your turned out. Mine is more surface mounted. Its in the GPS section with pics. Would love a some details on how you did all that. Oh yea is it hardwired or are you running just the battery? Thanks, chris

Super1c- So if you check out some of the seat pics u'll see the Lake effect riser I purchased. That riser comes with a provision for the ram mounts. I used that and just bought the ram mount for my nuvi. So what I did with the cover was cut an x where the GPS was mounted and just peeled back the material and duct taped in place to make sure the hole was in the right place. Once I was sure on that, I took it to a local upholstery shop and had them sew velcro on three sides of the hole and cut out the center on my spare handlebar cover I had bought for this from a swap meet to use as the cover. I hard wired a 12v lighter socket to the sled. I don't have a battery so I spliced into the brown wire on my sled (i have a post on that). I don't know yet what the voltage is coming out of the brown wire so I am hesistant to plug my GPS in yet.

Devin- I put too much money and time into this seat to ever tell anyone it is worth doing rather then going out and buying a boss. If I had to guess how much money in labor and materials I would say easily around $1000. The only reason I didn't go buy a boss was because I wanted something I made on my own. If I had to do it again I would probably just buy a boss seat. I appreciate the interest in the seat though.

SX600abuser said:
Super1c- So if you check out some of the seat pics u'll see the Lake effect riser I purchased. That riser comes with a provision for the ram mounts. I used that and just bought the ram mount for my nuvi. So what I did with the cover was cut an x where the GPS was mounted and just peeled back the material and duct taped in place to make sure the hole was in the right place. Once I was sure on that, I took it to a local upholstery shop and had them sew velcro on three sides of the hole and cut out the center on my spare handlebar cover I had bought for this from a swap meet to use as the cover. I hard wired a 12v lighter socket to the sled. I don't have a battery so I spliced into the brown wire on my sled (i have a post on that). I don't know yet what the voltage is coming out of the brown wire so I am hesistant to plug my GPS in yet.

Devin- I put too much money and time into this seat to ever tell anyone it is worth doing rather then going out and buying a boss. If I had to guess how much money in labor and materials I would say easily around $1000. The only reason I didn't go buy a boss was because I wanted something I made on my own. If I had to do it again I would probably just buy a boss seat. I appreciate the interest in the seat though.

Thanks for the info and again nice job! And as long as you have a DC line the voltage isnt the big issue. Just make sure you use the cigarette adapter that came with your garmin as this will take it down to the correct voltage.

First pics of the finished seat.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

I'll take more pictures after I get it all mounted correctly and show you guys the inside. What do you guys think?

Alright fellas, This is what I will be riding on this year. The sled still needs to have the jetting tweaked in, as well as the clutching, but I took it for a quick dirt ride and was very impressed!! It was shifting at about 7700-7800rpm, so I am really excited to see it move after I dial in the clutches.

Anyway Here is the completed seat.
IMAG0798.jpg

IMAG0797_1325342558646.jpg

IMAG0799.jpg

Here is what the inside looks like
IMAG0803.jpg

IMAG0802.jpg

And I just like this picture
IMAG0801_1325342679003.jpg

Here is the link to more detail about what I ported on my sled. http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82911

Ok, I only have like a mile on it, and I just moved up from a 600 to 700cc so it is going to feel more powerful anyway. What I noticed from doing a couple launches is how much faster the throttle responds from a dead stop! It is definitely going to have problems hooking up with the track that is under it now. I have also noticed it is has lost a noticeable amount of midrange, as it takes a second after you let off and hammer back on it for the engine to backshift into the powerband again. That being said, I can probably tune this out of it better with messing with the clutching. It has a 51/43 helix right now and a green spring. Maybe I will try out the red spring or maybe a 40/48ish helix. It does do what I wanted it to do though, and it pulls HARD when it is in the power band. The S**T eating grin on my face when I stepped off of it I am sure told the whole story to anyone who noticed...lol

Here is a link to finding a 12v dc power supply for my gps, if anyone is interested.
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83513

Thanks for the complements fellas! Yeah I am really happy with it. If I said I didn't like the double takes of people when it is parked I would be lieing. This sled is SOOO much more comfy now. If I had to do it all over again though I would probably have just bought a boss seat, only because I paid more to build this.

Updates:

So this year I went off the deep end and added a long track. Let me show you what I did.

Below is a photo of essentially the end of the tear down. I pulled the motor because I noticed the front heat exchanger had come loose. I suspect the extra stress from the higher handlebar height is the main cause, so I made an additional bracket to better tie everything together. Also in the picture you may notice the seat is ripped apart. I liked the seat height but I wanted to improve/reshape the foam some. So I did that at the same time.

This next picture is of the extensions that I built for the skid. I used solidworks to model the suspension and build these. They have a 5 degree tilt. I just did them on the manual end mill.

This is the mockup of the extensions to see how it would fit on my skid. They fit up very well.

This is the look of the seat now that it is reshaped and re-covered.

This one has the skid in, so I could start better mocking up how I wanted to do the tunnel extension and heat exchanger.

Now this was the cool part of my build in my opinion. is my mini U exchanger I build from the existing rear exchanger with an original side exchanger. I think it turned out pretty cool.

This is the pic to the heat exchanger held in place with my grab bar made up along with my tunnel cut to except the tunnel extension I put on it.

Here is when it all starts to come together...This is the extension in place. I drew this up in CAD then had someone water jet it and bend it for me.

The Finished Product!

Yep, I put the new viper snow flap on!

Back