1997 piped Vmax4 vs. 1996 TCat

journeyman

Well I thought I would share this one. My buddy that I go to Michigan with yearly actually owns 5 sleds. An '07 Attak, a '08 Nytro 136", a '97 600SX, a PSI quad piped Vmax4 and a '96 Tcat. We were talking the other day and he said I wonder what would win between the Vmax4 and the Tcat. I called him up today and said "you know the conditions are good we should run them off." So I went over and he had his 16 yr. old daughter flag. Yep the Tcat won. First time I ever drove one to be honest. That thing rips. I drove it first and when I first was testing it out ,I couldn't believe the torgue that thing has. Lifts the skis every time you can it. It pulled the V4 by a good 5 lengths every run over a good quarter mile. That being said when I drove the Vmax I did feel it was clutched kind of soft. We later ran the Tcat off against the Attak and the Attak did take it by several lengths. Better than I thought it would. Fun day anyways.............

my dad has the 98 1000 tcat an thats clutched perfect an puts the hammer down on rx1s all day an thats with an m10 slowin it down never a problem with it either 6000 ,iles they are a good sled

The Vmax-4 should be with or ahead of the Attak if it was dialed.

Don't judge them all by the 97 you rode and don't bet money against them either without knowing the sled.

Sleeping giants that are clutched soft from the factory. Face one that is awake and you will be telling a different story.

opsled

opsled said:
The Vmax-4 should be with or ahead of the Attak if it was dialed.

Don't judge them all by the 97 you rode and don't bet money against them either without knowing the sled.

Sleeping giants that are clutched soft from the factory. Face one that is awake and you will be telling a different story.

opsled

Well I am sure it does not have factory clutching being it has quads. He bought both these sleds used for cheap as is but the Vmax4 looks really good for it's age. I have no idea who made the best pipes for it either. If I remember right to really get them flying you had to run the 180 degree firing order with a different ignition. I know Hauck's really flys and I believe it's pushed out to 880cc's. It was all in fun. My impression of the Cat was a cheap tin can with a whopper of a motor in it. It was quite loud too. Amazing Cat got away with the noise those things put out.

PSI MADE BEST QUADS FOR VMAX 4 AND STILL KEPT YA AT A LOW SHIFT RPM. THE 97 VMAX 4 WAS THE SLOWEST OF THE THREE 800,s YEARS BECAUSE OF THAT 11.5 SKID. AS FARR AS WEIGHT, A VMAX 4 AND T-CAT ARE CLOSE. THEY ALSO SHOULD BE CLOSE IN HP. THE 180 FIRING AND THE DIFFERENT INGINTION WILL DO NOTHING FOR THIS SLED. THATS FOR FULL BLOWN RACE VMAX 4 MOTORS. I DISAGREE, I THINK THIS SLED AIN,T CLUTCHED RIGHT, SHOULD OF NEVER LOST BY 5. THATS ALOT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Tony knows the story and niether of these sleds should be running that far behind an Attak on a long lake race with good bite.

T-Cats and Yam-4's were animals. And still are.

Do not underestimate either.

opsled

I HAVE ALOT OF RESPECT FOR ANY YEAR T-CAT. REALLY ONE OF THE ALL TIME GREAT MUSCLE SLEDS, LIKE THE VMAX -4 , MACH Z, SRX, XCR etc. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
PSI MADE BEST QUADS FOR VMAX 4 AND STILL KEPT YA AT A LOW SHIFT RPM. THE 97 VMAX 4 WAS THE SLOWEST OF THE THREE 800,s YEARS BECAUSE OF THAT 11.5 SKID. AS FARR AS WEIGHT, A VMAX 4 AND T-CAT ARE CLOSE. THEY ALSO SHOULD BE CLOSE IN HP. THE 180 FIRING AND THE DIFFERENT INGINTION WILL DO NOTHING FOR THIS SLED. THATS FOR FULL BLOWN RACE VMAX 4 MOTORS. I DISAGREE, I THINK THIS SLED AIN,T CLUTCHED RIGHT, SHOULD OF NEVER LOST BY 5. THATS ALOT. 3:16 (yammie tony)

1) good to know about the PSI's being good pipes on this sled and also the long travel skid makes sense.

2) Ok now I do remember the 180 degree setup was on sleds like Tim Bender's back in the day.

3) yeh, like I said.......the clutching felt soft. Tony if you know a good setup feel free to PM me on what he should be running for clutching on this thing. As far as he knows it is a stock motor with just the PSI's. He's never had it apart yet either. I know this thing should be stronger. The Tcat felt way stronger by the seat of the pants IMO and it showed in the field.

Last edited:
my freind has the 99 xcr 800 i hate them agressive chassis sleds more then i hate ethanol he thinks its the fastest thing on earth he has a stock set up but 136 with clutch kit an vforce reeds an with my 01 sxr with bender pipes bender transfer rod slp torque arm head mod v forces an home clutch set up an i walk all over him ive tryed to help him an he wont listen his sled should blow mine outt athe water so the way ppl talk about them

bluebandit98 said:
my freind has the 99 xcr 800 i hate them agressive chassis sleds more then i hate ethanol he thinks its the fastest thing on earth he has a stock set up but 136 with clutch kit an vforce reeds an with my 01 sxr with bender pipes bender transfer rod slp torque arm head mod v forces an home clutch set up an i walk all over him ive tryed to help him an he wont listen his sled should blow mine outt athe water so the way ppl talk about them

LOL, I call that hood the Northern Pike because it reminds me of a fish head.

Interesting though. Did you ever run an older SX or SXR redhead 700 with the same triple pipe setup? Just curious because I had a 2001 like yours but I only owned it one year and I traded for my current ....now ten year old......Viper. I know stock my 2001 was faster than my dad's '98 XTC redhead 700 at the time. I always figured the stronger ignition helped mine a bit. Ours were both stock. I was planning on piping it the 2nd year but then I dumped it. I kind of figured the 2001 w/pipes would also be stronger than a 2000 or older redhead.

Also I always wonder if I would have kept the SXR and piped it how it would have faired against the Viper on top end. My dad bought his Viper the same year I did so he got rid of the redhead XTC at the same time. His Viper has got real good top end as mine has over the years but I now run a Cobra track and in some conditions like hardpack his is better. I have heard the CPR pipes have good top end on the redhead.

I am currently shopping for a good 2001 SXR for a second sled and I will probably put CPR's or Bender triples on it, a Cobra track and powder skis for some off trail fun.

YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME ALITTLE MORE INFO HERE. IS THIS VMAX 4 STUDDED ? ALSO YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHATS IN IT FOR CLUTCHING. ACTUALLY THESE CAME WITH THE '' FAMOUS '' NOW '' thanks to me '' 8BU-10 WEIGHTS, WHICH WORK NICE, BUT THERE IS BETTER FOR A QUAD PIPED VMAX 4. I CAN GIVE YA ROCKING CLUTCH SET-UP FOR THAT SLED, BUT HE WILL NEED TO MAKE SOME CHANGES. 3:16 (yammie tony)

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME ALITTLE MORE INFO HERE. IS THIS VMAX 4 STUDDED ? ALSO YOU HAVE TO TELL ME WHATS IN IT FOR CLUTCHING. ACTUALLY THESE CAME WITH THE '' FAMOUS '' NOW '' thanks to me '' 8BU-10 WEIGHTS, WHICH WORK NICE, BUT THERE IS BETTER FOR A QUAD PIPED VMAX 4. I CAN GIVE YA ROCKING CLUTCH SET-UP FOR THAT SLED, BUT HE WILL NEED TO MAKE SOME CHANGES. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I know it's not studded and it looked like a 1.25" lug track from a glance. I'll see if he wants to rip the clutches off and see what's in it right now. I will probably be talking with him later today.

I talked with him just now and he said he is going to tear the clutches off and see what weights, springs, helix and helix twist it is at. He also mentioned he thinks there is an aftermarket belt on it.

LET ME KNOW. AFTERMARKET BELTS ARE JUNK ON VMAX 4,s. don,t like he is not studded, ALTHOUGH THAT LUG SHOULD HOOK UP NICE. AND GUY WHO POSTED, VMAX 4 MIGHT BE HEAVIEST SLED EVER MADE. 3:16

Back