Reed spacers installation

Hi A couple of buck!!!! thank you for the assistance. I looked at both links and just a bit confused about the carbontech one, I see 3 different 370LT reeds..... which one?

and then I see 235LT reed for vmax 97-99..... which one exactly you are suggesting for my application? sorry for all the questions, I am new to that!

and what does the reed change or how does it change something? Is it because it give a bigger amount of gas/air mixture in the combustion chamber...?

370LTs are 370LTs. Wether it goes in a 600 SRX,700 SRX or a Viper.
If you get some SRX/VIPER cages, the 370LTs is what you will need to fit onto the SRX/VIPER cages.
The 235LTs will fit in your existing Vmax cages.
The SRX/VIPER cages are somewhere @ 10% wider and allow more O2 to enter the combustion chamber. They drop right in w/o any modification.
The two stainless stops you’ll have to order for the notch will fit either your present cage(Vmax) or the SRX/VIPER cages. As the stops are exactly the same or either the Vmax or SRX/Viper. I will only notch the stainless ones for longevity reasons.
SRX cages w/ CarbonTech reeds in a twin is a fan-friggin-tastic combination.:rockon:;)!

Post #53 for a picture of a notched reed stop.
https://totallyamaha.net/showthread...-throttle-response/page2?highlight=Notch mildP

Last edited:
Well I just called CarbonTech up. And they do offer a 270LT. Same exact reeds as the 370LTs but only 2 sets instead of 3 sets. The 3 in 370 means 3 sets(triple cyl). The 2 in 270 means 2 sets(twin cyl). So in a Vmax4, the reeds are a 444LT. The first #4 signifies 4 sets for its 4 cylinders.
I did not realize that 270LTs were offered. They also fit in a Yamaha TZ250. I only searched on their snowmobile page.
270s are 1/3 cheaper than 370s because there are 1/3 less reeds. Twin cyl vs triple cyl.

Last edited:
wow :rocks:

thank you soo much for the assistance and information!!!! I am definitely getting it and will look that post you referred me to.

I will update as soon as their on!!!

Hi again A couple of buck!

So I received the stops today and should receive the reeds in the next few day, however I think that I got confused.... I did order the 270lts, but now that I read again your post I guess I need to order the proper cage since I did not take the 235lts..... It not a problem if so, I will do but just want to make sure?

would that be the good part number 8DF-13610-01-00

thanks

Last edited:
Now when your new reeds are installed on the cages your going to order, there is a right and wrong way to install them onto those cages.
They are made w/ a ever ever ever slight arc in them. It is imperceptible if your just holding it with your hand. What you will need is a very flat surface such as a piece of glass in a picture frame. Now put a piece of printer paper on that smooth glass. Once the black reeds are against the smooth white background you will then notice that ever so slight arc in the reeds. The arc or hump goes up when they are installed onto the cages.

Hi Danny,

ok so proper cage ordered and I ordered the gaskets as well, took 8DF-13621-00-00 I was not sure if I needed the one that match the reed cage ordered or the one for my sled....

also waiting on my new cobra track and MBRP race can.

When you finally drop the completed cages into the jugs, use Permatex High Tack on both sides of the gaskets. Makes for a air tight seal.

Edit: It would be perfectly be fine without the High Tack. I usually tend to over kill things.

Last edited:
Hi Danny,

I totally agree with over kill!!! better safe then sorry. I see that the notch in both posts are a bit different. One better then the other?

Pascal

I think that the notch should not have any corners or edges in it. Everything nice,rounded with a flowing line. Vibrations tend to focus on corners. By eliminating them, I feel that they would probably last as long as the sled and not crack. Much like Vincent’s did.
The ones I did in the post above .... I got too close to the factory slots. Whatever width are in between those slots, stay that much away from them.
Remember that you can always take material off. You cannot put material on.

Last edited:

Back