Xtc 600

Well, got it started for the first time tonight. Seemed to run good, set idle, bled coolant, confirmed oil injection working.
Tomorrow will be testing on the snow. Hopefully I’m close with MrVipers heelclicker suggestion.
Excited but nervous ! Lol

Well, got it started for the first time tonight. Seemed to run good, set idle, bled coolant, confirmed oil injection working.
Tomorrow will be testing on the snow. Hopefully I’m close with MrVipers heelclicker suggestion.
Excited but nervous ! Lol

Very exciting indeed! Good luck!

Well, my nervousness didn't go unfounded...
Turns out you cant take 91 octane fuel, add Torco, and get 94 octane fuel.(Like the can says)

Couple pistons and a cylinder, and I will be back at it again!

On a side note, for the little bit I was able to ride it, it rode great, had excellent traction, and pulled really hard.

Im running a 20cc domed head, so I will need race gas, mixed with 91. Running a 152.5 main jet, and looks like Im really lean.
Actually kinda good news, as the more main jet it needs, the more power it will make. MrViper suggested a 157.5
Clutching with the heel clickers seemed to be dead on. Ran at 9300. Engagement was at around 5000, so may bring that down a bit.

Just hope there is still snow left when its back together.

In the mean time, gonna try out the Viper S, and start on the 2001 SRX bulkhead/bellypan replacement project.

Last edited:
Interesting.
Never thought about it before.
But it looks like they are kinda just for ice.
Also, it says "Ride safer, not faster"
That is not really my mantra.. lol

I have also taken sheet metal screws and did the same thing.
I took appropriately sized sheet metal screws and hardened them.
1. Heat them until a dull red.
2. Quench in oil.
3. Once completely cool, temper by bringing them back up to 400 degrees.
IMG_0281.jpg

You think they help with traction on hard pack ?
If its just ice, I would rather not have the extra weight, even though it wouldn't be much.
Looking for top speed with this sled.

Just got parts back from Mr. Viper!
Super excited to get it back together.
Big thanks to Don for getting this done, even though he has been super busy with work.
Appreciate it greatly!

Attachments

• Resized_20200106_111812.jpg
    Resized_20200106_111812.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 8
Well, had a chance to get motor put back together and in sled.

Also had a buddy wrap my headlight with a new product he got called headlight tint.
Much better and more even that the spray stuff.

Will re fit pipes, then mark and remove for EGT bungs to be welded on.
These CPR pipes are tough to find room for that as they twist around each other so much.

Attachments

• Resized_20200113_201159.jpg
    Resized_20200113_201159.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Resized_20200113_200610.jpg
    Resized_20200113_200610.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 12
And I see you replaced your 20cc dome head with a stock 700 head to! Smart move.

What are the stock dome cc anyway?

OK, update:

Motor is repaired and back in the sled.
EGT gauges installed.
PTO Cylinder is runing about 200 degrees cooler than Center and Mag.
Thought it might be the gauge or the probe, swapped them both with Mag, Same thing.
So, took carbs off, needles are correct, but had 60 pilots in it, were supposed to be 50. So fixed that.
Think I have eliminated carbs as the cause.
I now have a stock head on it ( Got off Ebay) Head had been hot, as paint was discolored, with a single layer head gasket.
Im wondering if I dont have a slightly warped head, allowing coolant in the cylinder.
I really see no signs that is happening, but I did pressure test the coolant system, and
found that it slowly leaks pressure out. I dont know if this system should hold pressure.
Also dont know that my tester is getting a good seal either..

Any thoughts ?

Found this on PTO side
Looks like a leak, but doesn't feel damaged.

Attachments

• Resized_20200818_182325.jpg
    Resized_20200818_182325.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4
Ok, to update this.
Have the peak head back on it to get my compression back.
Using the 20cc domes.
Compression is now back to 127-132 range.
Also, I mentioned that the PTO was a few hundred degrees cooler than the rest.
My thought is it’s normal for the redhead, as it’s the only motor in that era that uses a richer nozzle for the needle on the PTO side.
I think i’m set now, but will still need better octane.
So, I bought some VP 110.
Will mix 2.5 gallons of 110 with 8 gallons of 91.

Last edited:

Back