2002 yamaha sxv viper power valve stripped screws

Mkoon

Hello everyone,
1.) so I just tbought this 02 viper and the power valves are missing 1 screw on 2 of the power valves and 2 screw heads are stripped so i tried to drill them anyone have any ideas how to get these out.
2.) after i hopefully get all of these out and clean them do I need to ajust them if so how do i do so?
Thanks
-mason

Is it the PV housing that has the bolts stripped or is it the cylinder jug?

Jug.jpg

sxviper-082.jpg

Yes I would take them apart clean and inspect, then set up. Plenty of threads here how to do it and tons of knowledge, I was nervous first time I did mine.

Ok so it is the bolts on the cylinder jug which is picture one correct? I would post a picutre but i cannot get it to work.

Hello everyone,
1.) so I just tbought this 02 viper and the power valves are missing 1 screw on 2 of the power valves and 2 screw heads are stripped so i tried to drill them anyone have any ideas how to get these out.
2.) after i hopefully get all of these out and clean them do I need to ajust them if so how do i do so?
Thanks
-mason

you can try vise grips or what i've done in the past is used a dremel tool and put alittle slit in the head and used a flat head to get them out. just be careful that the only thing you cut is the bolt

Last edited:
If you can get an easy out in there it may help, not sure how far you drilled the head of bolt in though. I snapped the bolt off in the jug on mine it wasn't fun.

used a dremel tool and put alittle slit in the head and used a flat head to get them out

This works well. Cut the slit 1/2 way through the head and just barely the thickness of the straight slot screwdriver you will be using. Roughly a 1/16" thick slot. The screwdriver you need to be using should be at least as wide as the bolt head.
Allen head bolts are a good replacement for any bolt that would benefit from a positive grip head. A stripped head is pretty much a thing of the past.
The proper type of anti-seize is beneficial too. There are 1/2 a dozen(ish) different types of anti-seize dependent on the metal your securing. The nickel formula has the highest temperature rating for ferrous metals.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help guys. Eventually got all of the screws out with a screw extractor but one power valbe looks damadged. Based off of these pictures what do you think? its the pro power valve.

CcakPncKTgWQmiWxoxX4yg.jpg

Last edited:

Back