Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 97 sx700 running issue

Default 97 sx700 running issue

here is the story, brother got a 97 sx700 in a trade/deal from a guy. it was running great when he got it. he loaned to a guy that was thinking of purchasing it. guy kept it for 2 seasons and gave it back not running and said he did not want it. told him there was no spark. bro handed it to me to get running. been picking at it between maintenece on other sleds.

things i have found/fixed so far. fuel filter was missing, replaced. cleaned carbs and replaced all jets. found that some one had cleaned carbs before and the air screws where set all weird. set back to stock. left tors bypassed. verified that it had spark on all 3 cyl and re mounted a bunch of stuff that was dangling. put 3 gallons of fresh 91 octane mixed 50:1 as do not know oil pump condition/setting. cleaned clutches as they where horrible.

poured mixed gas in cylinders with good plugs and it fired on all 3 cyls initally. as it warmed up, it lost mag cyl fire and has intermittent spark on centre cyl. pto has good fire.

going to clean the carbs again but there is good gas from how the plugs read/smell. going to also add a ground from the engine to the frame and fix/disconnect kill switch as it was not working when i tried it while engine was running.

anything else i should check for while i am at it?
    sleds
    410cc reliable power (enticerII) rx tunnel braces
    500cc mutant margarita mixer (09 phazer rtx/x)
    1000cc of yamaha excellence (apex xtx)

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

Take recoil off, pull flywheel, make sure it’s not rusty.
    -------------------------
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, 20CC Domes, boost bottle, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S
    SLP pipes, peak performance head,

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

All three coils ohms check out?

flywheel was rusty. cleaned up last night and re-installed. had to wait on starting it as i needed the piston ring for the pipe to the muffer witch shocked me as my dealer had it in stock.

next problem has been discovered, pulled the dipstick on the chaincase and found some one has packed it full of grease. fix that next once i get the engine and kill switch sorted out.
    sleds

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

well i have had qualified sucess! it now runs on all 3 cylinders once i put good plugs into it. now to see what is wrong with idle as it is idling at 4000rpm with no leaks i can spray with brake cleaner in the short time i had it running today.
    sleds

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

guessing someone cranked up the idle screw on the carb rack when it was running poorly to get it not to die.
    Adjust and should be fine.
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, 20CC Domes, boost bottle, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

idle screw is backed right off with no difference. going to check my cable gaps/slack next.
    sleds

motorcycle's
    00 xt350 mod
    08 wr250x

atv
    2005 big bear pro

Senior Member Open Mod A couple of bucks's Avatar

To help get shtuff going I get a good dish soap bottle. Put premix in and squirt through the slush box.
    Dannyboy

Quote Originally Posted by A couple of bucks View Post
    To help get shtuff going I get a good dish soap bottle. Put premix in and squirt through the slush box.
    Once again, I will translate Illinoisan.....
    Slush box = Air box
    1997 Yamaha XTC

1997 700 SX

2004 Viper S

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes

1997 Mountain Max 700

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast