Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRX 600 Jetting/Plug Wash

Senior Member Improved bADa$$ SRX's Avatar

Default SRX 600 Jetting/Plug Wash

What in your guys thoughts on these plugs stock main jets, air box dividers out, a couple small holes in bottom of air box, 10 degrees Fahrenheit out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The bullsh*t stops once the flag drops!"

Well this happened on the trip this evening .....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those plugs are right on with little room for cold temps with the mods to air box as you found out. Ouch. That sucks.
    2002 Yamaha SXViper - Daughters
    E-start, reverse, extended to 144" with cobra track. Awesome EdgeWrap in purple and pink!!

2016 Yamaha SRViper LTX-SE - Wifes.

2017 Yamaha SRViper LTX-LE - Mine

THE VIPER PIT IS NEVER COMPLETE! Bipolar!!!

Senior Member Open Mod shaggyzr2's Avatar

Was that one carb maybe a little dirty and running lean?

That Sucks.
    2000 Venture 700

-Head gasket thinned
    -Stainless reed stoppers notched
    -Cobra 1.35 x 136" track
    -Home made transfer rod
    -Boss Seat
    -Apex helix, 8ch weights, +2.8g per tip, wpw spring, 8dn belt, green sec @ 70
    -22-39 gears with reverse
    -Rox 3" risers
    -Plastic skis
    -Drilled can
    -Electric start system and ring gear removed.
    -LED headlight and tale light

That sucks, sorry to hear what happened.
    When first looking at your first post I was going to comment that they are leaner than I would feel comfortable with. Right on the edge with zero room for a lower altitude or colder temps.
    03 Mountain Viper, SLP Triples, SLP Flo-rites, gas rack, low profile blue windshield, NO underhood air going to the air box, (& no more powder bog)

Going to pull the carbs apart again, looks like the center was a little leaner than the others, new jug and piston on the way

Senior Member Open Mod A couple of bucks's Avatar

Top hats full of snot?
    Dannyboy

all 3 cylinders are lean, dry as a desert. its not only the plugs but looking at the piston tops as well to guide you on jetting a sled. I have a tech article with pictures on plugs and pistons tops to guide you. As for going off your first pic, see how the center electrode is silver all the way across, that's right on the edge for that exact temp with no room for temp drop, so that day was too lean for trail riding in my opinion, that would be race jetting for a short drag. You also have to watch using modified airboxs, it certainly will change the jetting. Do you have a bender cold air intake on the hood as well?
    It's just a little 700!

Long story short there was six 3/8 holes drilled in the bottom of my air box from the day I bought it. Rode in -10 degree weather never had a problem. I’ve put over 6000 miles on the sled and it never missed a beat. This year mice chewed threw my air box and expanded one of the 3/8 holes to maybe 3/4 of an inch. Siphoned the old gas out. Went through and cleaned the carbs and patched all the holes in the box. Sled would bog on WOT after it warmed up and would backfire. Found a broken powervalve cable. Put a new cable in, cleaned all 3 valves and adjust to spec. Same thing, would still bog on WOT after it was warm, temps were around 30 on these days. Took carbs back out and cleaned again but didn’t pull the screens out because i couldn’t get the float pins out. Put carbs back in and ripped around the yard with no air box, ran like a top, so I figured it was running rich. I put the air box back in, took off my patches on the holes and took the cylinder dividers out to compensate for the larger hole from the mice on the mag side cyl. Sled ran really good and that’s when I took the pics of the plugs. Put gas in and went out for a ride. Trails were like glass so I was running almost WOT across all the fields. I stopped a couple times and checked the plugs, looked a little darker than the pic I posted. Went about 25 miles and was on a very long WOT pull and that’s when I lost the cylinder. I agree the pistons all look lean but it may be a little deceiving because I always squirt trans fluid in the cylinders when I summerize it to remove the carbon from the power valves and this happened after only about 40 miles on the year. New jug and piston are on the way. Step one is to go through the carbs again. Any thoughts on the airbox? Thinking I want to patch some of the holes again. I do not have a cold air kit. How much gas should come out of the fuel pump when pulled over? Mine just seems to barely dribble.... Thanks guys
    Last edited by bADa$$ SRX; 02-14-2020 at 07:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast