Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coolant leak

Quote Originally Posted by MURDER YAMAHA View Post
    But, don't shoot yourself in the eye with the carb cleaner !
    (Almost 100% chance..lol)
    Safety glass!!! I experienced paint tiner once and felt like my eye was burning for almost half hour....

So I removed the head yesterday and it looked like that;

head.jpg

opticool.jpg

bucket.jpg

In the bucket is coolant that was in the pipe, approx 3/4 of a pint. The head was torqued as per specs in proper order.

When I look at the water rails in the cylinders they are all full off coolant and equal in all three.

Should I be concerned about coolant going down in the bottom, crankshaft area?

Thank you

Inspect that head closely. It may be warped and they are cheap to replace. I would drain the coolant prior to before taking the head off. Go slow when
    pulling off the head off next time and try to isolate which cylinder is the leaker.

No concern with coolant down below as long as its not long term.

Below are the specs. I would torque a few extra pounds on that head and try again.

torque.jpg

gasket.jpg
    Last edited by Mac; 03-18-2020 at 11:49 AM.
    Most of my drinking buddies got riding problems.
    Snowmobiling..... the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Inspect that head closely. It may be warped and they are cheap to replace. I would drain the coolant prior to before taking the head off. Go slow when
    pulling off the head off next time and try to isolate which cylinder is the leaker.

No concern with coolant down below as long as its not long term.

Below are the specs. I would torque a few extra pounds on that head and try again.

Attachment 65801

Attachment 65802
    I did place a straight edge across the head at various area and it look in good condition. Did the same on the top of the cylinders, all good to. Putting it back today,will see what happens....Will add more torq!

I use a lot of 1 layer head gaskets, so I find myself over torqueing head bolts all the time just for my own peace of mind.
    If it asks for 27, I may do 35, maybe more, just depends how ornery I'm feeling that day. Lol
    You can kind of "feel" when its enough, IMO.
    -------------------------
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S
    SLP pipes, peak performance head,

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes, Loaded 8DN20's, Hauck Y 51/45

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

I was thinking of putting a original gasket on instead of the opticool.... could the greater restriction caused by the smaller holes in the opticool forces more the coolant to leak or it should not be a concerned if torqued more?

I doubt the opticool had anything to do with your troubles. I would suggest a good coating of copper spray. It helps to seal as well as helps to preserve that gasket for future disassembly.
    Most of my drinking buddies got riding problems.
    Snowmobiling..... the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Will go for copper. Did not thought about that.

Was putting it back together half hour ago with the torq wrench and one bolt stripped.... My torq would *click* on all bolts except 2... and one of them broke.

Whats odd about it is that when I attempted to drill into the broken part in the cylinder to remove it, it was completely loose. I was able to remove it just with my finger tips....

stripped 1.jpgstripped.jpg

The Viper has long bolts, and short bolts that are used in the head.
    Did you maybe use one in the wrong spot ?
    Easy way to tell which one goes where, is to just drop them all in their holes, they should all be sticking out about the same amount.
    -------------------------
    1997 Yamaha XTC
    700 Redhead, Mr. Viper ported, CPR pipes, SRX reeds, Heelclickers, Dual bulb, LT Ohlins

1997 700 SX
    Thinned head gasket, Gutted Airbox, Reed Spacers, Bender Pipes, Viper Shocks, 51/43 helix 89L weights

2004 Viper S
    SLP pipes, peak performance head,

2001 SRX 700
    Power Inc. Pipes, Loaded 8DN20's, Hauck Y 51/45

1997 Mountain Max 700
    Black XTC Hood, Thinned Head Gasket, Gutted Air Box, Reed Stopper Notch, SLP Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MURDER YAMAHA View Post
    The Viper has long bolts, and short bolts that are used in the head.
    Did you maybe use one in the wrong spot ?
    Easy way to tell which one goes where, is to just drop them all in their holes, they should all be sticking out about the same amount.
    Yup did that before beginning! 6 long bolts that goes, 2 per cylinder on each side and the 12 others are the short one that goes in the other holes around....

Dont know if they are a bit ruined because of the heat of all those years, maybe have stretched a bit.... really out of idea.... but I just ordered all brand new.

That sled is making me go crazy!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast